Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now that rifle season is over I have located quite a few gut piles, and a couple deer carcasses. The coyotes have trampeled the areas flat, but I'm not real sure how to go about setting around them. Thoughts? Should note that the entry and exit routes are well defined, and I might think a set on or along one of these routes may be better than setting right by the food source?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
When I set carcasses, and I set a lot of them, I stay back! How far depends on the cover but usually never closer than 50 yds and I prefer 100yds. I blind set and snare trails. On the snares I found that they work much better when I'm a ways out from the carcass. Blinds work at just about any distance up to 50 yds. When the coyotes get in close they go to circling and often leave the trails. I'll use scent posts in the 100 yd range and lured sets on the travel lanes away from the carcass (200yds too 1/2 mile out). If you set too close your catches will spoke / alert the next guy in line. When they get nervous about things (and they're nervous around a carcass anyhow) they'er much harder to catch. If you've got the cover, drags are just dandy. One more point if the crows, ravens and Magpies get on the carcass they pull coyotes in from all over the country.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Mallard:
Wackyquacker gave you some sound advice. I too would set the entrance trails and exits back 50 to 100 yards. As he said, they may start circleing around back quite some distance. Big, visible scent post sets around the perimeter, lured with fox or coyote Nature's Call lures, would be a good choice of sets for the snow we now have. It would be hard to use food based lures and/or baits to entice them under the circumstances so the Nature's Call lures provide gland, curiosity, territorial calls. Good luck!
Ace

·
Registered
421 Posts
same thing here...

after rifle season, and even after several weeks of bird season, I notice a significant decline in interest in my bait sets (dirthole, etc.). If I can locate deer gut piles, vehicle-killed carcasses, etc. I circle them myself and look for trails, then I use either snares in the trail or a post set nearby. Post sets work really well, especially if I use fox or bobcat urine. Seems every coyote around wants to know who/what has been working its kill find and marking territory nearby.
In later winter, birds of prey as well as crows work those piles and carcasses...what's left by then, anyway. They are a good draw for other predators, too.
I also start making my own "carcass" piles by then from my trapline carcasses and these work equally well as large bait draws. Especially a couple of beaver carcasses wired together and staked down in snow. Never set the bait itself, but only the trails and easy approaches .

·
Registered
603 Posts
What a place for snares!!!!! set as far back as you can and STILL have a definite trails.Set every trail.Set 2-3 even 4 snares on the best trails. Set the less traveled trails too. These snares set on the less used trails will make catchs after you snare 1 in the main trail. Then the coyotes will run around to investagate "Just what the **** is the matter with you" Here is where you will make your doubles,triples and even 4 animals.
Around a deer carcus and bait piles I have cought as many as 8 k-9's in 1 night at 1 set.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Legal or Not?

I asked the CO out of the Gaylord office about setting around carcasses last year and was told that it was a no-no. I wanted to set near a dead salmon that the coons were ripping up and he said he would issue a ticket for that without hesitation.

I dont know how far away you would have to be to setup on a trail for it to be considered legal - if anyone finds out please post and let us know.

·
Registered
603 Posts
OK, So I am going to snare in Michigian.I set snares and not knowing there is a dead deer 200 yards away up the river bottom.The CO finds my snares, then the deer or the other way around.You say he will right me ????.
OK, The same CO comes up on the same dead deer.On the same river bottom 1/2 mile away from my snares. Is he gona right me????
Again How about this CO finds the same dead deer.On the same river bottom 1 mile away from my snares.Is he gona right me ?
After all the river bottom is the "PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE"
Just where the **** is far enough away for this SOB ??????????????

·
Registered
27 Posts
Vague laws...

We have a lot of regulations that are open to the inerpretation of the officer - they are getting a bit better and I think they realize they need clarify some things. For instance - I see at the DNR webpage that they now offer a clear definition of what lights can and cannot be used for nighttime predator hunting - it used to just say that hunters could only use the kind normally used in hand or on the body. Now they tell you no handheld spotlights etc...

I know CO's write tickets A. to enforce the laws but some of then write tickets just to get promotions - no tickets no promotion - same with police officers. They are judged and promoted based on their work in the field and the amount of $$$' they bring in by handing out tickets. I would hope that a CO would use good judgement and try to determine if the individual was intentionally setting at/near a carcass when determining whether or not to cite the individual. I can live without the fines so I try to obey the law but if someone was to set near a carcass I wouldnt think less of them myself...

Newt - I dont think any CO would cite you for being a .5 mile from a carcass but they might if you were within a 100 feet or so and the DNR should really clarify things like this in the handbook.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Here in New Mexico no visable bait of any kind is permited with in 25 yards of a trap. The law goes on to define specific circumstances, i.e., a cubby set, in this case the bait cannot be visable from twenty five feet at an eye level above three feet. In both cases the intent is to protect scavengers and birds of prey. I can't imagine a law wich excludes a carcass or gut pile but then I can't imagine alot of things.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think I can get more than 1/3 of a mile away from a gut pile here in Michigan. Might just have to hang the traps up until those canines can get rid of the "bait". Like mentioned, it's not spelled out clearly in the hunting guide and any officer trying to ticket me for trapping 200+ yards away had better be ready for a battle in court.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts