Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking for Karo syrup here up north at a supermarket I haven't been to before. They didn't know what it was. Looks like I'm going to have to smuggle Karo in from the south just like I smuggle in my grits.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
You are aware that you will be carrying life threatening contraband that will fall under the same regulations as liquids in small bottles on airplanes or radio active waste, eventually?
I have always suspected you of being a foodie terrorist!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I remember really liking karo on my cereal when I was a kid. My mom always had a bottle of it in the house. Not sure what else she used it for, but i loved it dumped on top of cereal. I haven't looked for it in any store for a long time. Makes me wonder if the local walmart carries it. Will have to look next time.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
what would you use corn syrup for besides a pie ?
plenty of karo to be had around here if you're passing by.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hmm..well that's something to ponder. I've seen it on shelves forever and never considered once what it was or have ever known anyone who used it down here. I have no idea what its for or what it taste like. Please fill me in!

If your grocer can't get it for you just let me know and I'll ship you as many bottles as you want.Lol, grits too. Send me real maple sugar candy in return ;D

I remember that when my dad and his new wife moved to N.Y from N.C. in the late 70's they would smuggle Martha White flour with them up north after their obligatory visits. Dad would claim she could make the best biscuits ever with it and would make me eat one, swear they were the closest possible thing to hardtack. I've avoided the stuff like the plague for almost 40 years. Turned out though that the woman just can't cook, it wasn't Marthas fault after all.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
Karo is used in several candies at Christmas time, and pecan pies...............other than that it is used in baby's milk to help with constipation............................DDZ i'm betting you were real regular ;D

The MIMI whipped some out the other day to help a grand baby that was stopped up and grouchy.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the deal with Karo... I tried some Jin u wine maple pancake syrup and it's expensive and not nearly as good as Karo green label with some strawberry jam or blueberries mixed in. I know Karo is used for pecan pies and such, but I don't use it for that. It's mostly a convenience item that is good on pancakes, pours well in hot cereal like oatmeal, and doesn't crystallize like non Tupelo honey. And it's cheap. What's not to like?

Besides, when you love the south and live in he north you need some comfort foods.

Cheesy grits, pancakes with Karo green and some bacon or sausage! Haw!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I grew up seeing the large bottles of KARO light and dark corn syrup in the kitchen cupboard. Same as those bottles of BRER RABBIT BlackStrap Molasses. Best molasses made, but U can't find it locally. The stores want to pan off every other brand claiming how good it is, but none can hold a light to BR BlackStrap nutrition.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
My favorites that have corn syrup in them. Divinity Candy, popcorn balls, pecan pie, peanut brittle

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I had never ate pancakes til I was a big boy, we thought karo was the best ever made to sweeten those corn flitters
that mom fixed. I got some real pancakes and waffles with light karo and never liked sweetened corn flitters again. I still like fried corn flitters but with NO karo please.
Karo makes good pinto bean pie, almost as good as pecan pie, just use the pecan pie receipe, rinse the beans good before putting them
in the mixture and prepare everything else the same. Use cooked beans, of course.
I know many won't believe this so some of you cooks give it a try.
HM

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
smokehouserex said:
I had never ate pancakes til I was a big boy, we thought karo was the best ever made to sweeten those corn flitters
that mom fixed. I got some real pancakes and waffles with light karo and never liked sweetened corn flitters again. I still like fried corn flitters but with NO karo please.
Karo makes good pinto bean pie, almost as good as pecan pie, just use the pecan pie receipe, rinse the beans good before putting them
in the mixture and prepare everything else the same. Use cooked beans, of course.
I know many won't believe this so some of you cooks give it a try.
HM
Interesting!pinto beans huh? I try it once. you never know when you might be out of pecans.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Have you looked in the Flour,Baking area, of your grocer
I can't imagine it a boundary item

I was raised in Ct. Mom had it in the pantry always
She used it in candy,cookies,
think my grandfather used it
In some of the Liquor's he made

Down here Publix,WinnDixe and the rest all carry
that sweet fuel

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Got all the Karo one needs here, and I'm about 50 miles from Canada. Most here use Maple syrup for pancakes. Yes, genuine maple is costly, and although I can see where most of the cost is justified. Not having a monster "sweet tooth", I satisfy my Maple needs with the store bought imitation. I have numerous friends who are deep into the maple production and they sometimes give me some. I can't stand Maple sugar..just too sweet..although the cream is OK, in very small quantities, such as 1 teaspoon full.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Oldshooter said:
.....other than that it is used in baby's milk to help with constipation............................DDZ i'm betting you were real regular ;D

The MIMI whipped some out the other day to help a grand baby that was stopped up and grouchy.
Now its all coming to light as to why mom always said "here put this on your cereal". ;D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
ironglow said:
Got all the Karo one needs here, and I'm about 50 miles from Canada. Most here use Maple syrup for pancakes. Yes, genuine maple is costly, and although I can see where most of the cost is justified. Not having a monster "sweet tooth", I satisfy my Maple needs with the store bought imitation. I have numerous friends who are deep into the maple production and they sometimes give me some. I can't stand Maple sugar..just too sweet..although the cream is OK, in very small quantities, such as 1 teaspoon full.
You mean people have to pay for Maple syrup. I always seem to get some as payment or as trade. Lots of folks make it in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Conan said:
Here's the deal with Karo... I tried some Jin u wine maple pancake syrup and it's expensive and not nearly as good as Karo green label with some strawberry jam or blueberries mixed in.
A Minnesota boy not liking maple syrup is equivalent to being a damn communist!!! ;)

ironglow - real maple syrup goes well with about anything - especially ice cream.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.