Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found something that really sucks on this pistol, It is the magazine release. The mag release spring is only a .030 wound wire spring I would expect better in a kids toy! I have had the mag fall out in my truck seat and in just about any chair. All it takes is a little pressure on the button and it pops out. I even lost a mag riding my ATV . I took the spring out and reformed it to give it more tension but its still not strong enough so I called Kel-tec and they said send it in and I told them I can replace it no problem and they told me they would send a new one. I told them I wanted a new mag too because I lost one due to their poorly designed mag latch and they told me they cant do it. I got the new spring and it wasn't any better than the first. The reason I say its a fatal flaw is because if your ever someplace where a shooter comes in shooting up the place and you jump up to defend yourself and others thinking you have 31 rounds and you only have one in the chamber because the mag fell out you might be in some deep sh_ _ !

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I agree.
The mag release is awful on the PMR30. Though I hadn't conserved the spring, I just thought it was because the release button was on the heel of the grip; right where parts of your body can easily depress it; or if seated, you can lean it back into the seat cushion and depress it, etc.

Either way, its not a good design for a carry gun.

C-

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I was thinking it would be the $50 a minute that it would cost me to shoot it.

And that's not including the time and gas I'd spend looking to keep it fed.

Reactions: hunt4570

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
i have experianced the same thing while tracking a kiyote across the creek into my
sod field. went to put him out of his misery...only to find no mag and 1 in the pipe.
it did it but to loose a mag while tracking anything just plain sucks !!!

Reactions: cwlongshot

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cpileri said:
I agree.
The mag release is awful on the PMR30. Though I hadn't conserved the spring, I just thought it was because the release button was on the heel of the grip; right where parts of your body can easily depress it; or if seated, you can lean it back into the seat cushion and depress it, etc.

Either way, its not a good design for a carry gun.

C-
The whole design of the magazine release is not good. I almost talked myself out of ordering one from the picture but then i said to myself I'm sure there is a strong enough spring in there to keep the mag from falling out but boy I was wrong.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Tape across the bottom of the mag and up the grip. Makes mag changes slower but heck you got 30 +1 available. This ain't a assault weapon.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually fixed my gun before I created this thread but not with the spring Keltec sent me. I posted all this to see how many guys would admit that their PMR30's mag latch/release is a piece of crap!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ronbow said:
Tape across the bottom of the mag and up the grip. Makes mag changes slower but heck you got 30 +1 available. This ain't a assault weapon.
That would work for one magazine but I don't think anyone should have to tape in their mag especially on a new gun.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
muznut said:
. . . . I don't think anyone should have to tape in their mag especially on a new gun.
^ ^ ^ ^
taping a magazine in place ? ? :D :D :D

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've had my PMR 4-5 maybe 6 years now, always the gun I carry out in my woods, in the truck or on the tractor. I have yet to ever have a mag come out without me wanting it too.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
My magazine stays in. I don't like the heel release but it's a very deliberate effort needed to remove it.

Took it out yesterday and ran two mags through it. Really good trigger and never a jam or failure to fire. Very good accuracy too. I wish kel tec made a 17 hmr pistol just like it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found something that really sucks on this pistol, It is the magazine release. The mag release spring is only a .030 wound wire spring I would expect better in a kids toy! I have had the mag fall out in my truck seat and in just about any chair. All it takes is a little pressure on the button and it pops out. I even lost a mag riding my ATV . I took the spring out and reformed it to give it more tension but its still not strong enough so I called Kel-tec and they said send it in and I told them I can replace it no problem and they told me they would send a new one. I told them I wanted a new mag too because I lost one due to their poorly designed mag latch and they told me they cant do it. I got the new spring and it wasn't any better than the first. The reason I say its a fatal flaw is because if your ever someplace where a shooter comes in shooting up the place and you jump up to defend yourself and others thinking you have 31 rounds and you only have one in the chamber because the mag fell out you might be in some deep sh_ _ !
pretty sure thats how i lost one of my magazines!!! doesnt it come with three? i only have 2 now somehow haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me over the weekend while I was out turkey hunting. Not only did I lose a $40 magazine (that is out of stock everywhere), but at the current ammo prices, I also lost 30 rounds of 22WMR ammo! OUCH.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my PMR 4-5 maybe 6 years now, always the gun I carry out in my woods, in the truck or on the tractor. I have yet to ever have a mag come out without me wanting it too.
Just wait...I was in the same boat until this past weekend, when my magazine popped out in the woods somewhere while turkey hunting.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I never had an accidental mag release, although I would not discount it happening. The PMR30 I had would get a build up of shaved brass throughout the action, and caused the gun to often not return to battery, which caused ruptured cases on several occations......my "fix" was getting rid of the gun, which jammed if the mag wasn't loaded with extra TLC anyway.

·
Registered
661 Posts
It only comes with two, at least my 2 did, I think I have 10 mags now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts