Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
RDFX
I haven't found a place yet.I have some"stuff" to take care of here before the big move.
Tomorrow is the opening day of the Pheasant Season.I saw several out of state trucks pulling trailers full of dog boxes.All the "hunter House rentals in town are full.
It's not a good time to trap coyotes and red fox.I don't hunt pheasants any more.I'm too old,fat and crippled up to do all that walking.
My female English Cocker Spaniel "Tuffy" still has the drive but she can't hunt nearly as long anymore.Tuffy and I will whack a couple of mallards later in the season.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, when i trapped yotes south of Dickenson , ND i had pheasant hunter all over the place. Luckily didnt snag any of those bird dogs. Four doctors were staying on ranch i was trapping on. I had 21 sections plus 15 more in rental that i could trap on. Going in cold i had some to learn. I set for , mink, rats and **** when the opportunity presented itself. I trapped nine days and not one skunk ! I have alot of mourning doves here and one thing i learned on them is KEEP SWING ahead of those birds when you squeeze the trigger... I just delivered some lure to a first time trapper, made him happy. I remember those days when i first started trapping. Bet he opens and closes those bottle a couple times before he hits the rack...lol.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Most of the corn is still standing around here.That has concentrated the hunters.I saw guys setting up to walk a standing cornfield.They had one blocker on the side and one on the end.Tuffy flushed a hen from the edge of our backyard.It came up out of a clump of clover and alfalfa.She gives me a strange look when I don't shoot.I threw the canvas retrieving dummy that's wrap in Pheasant wings from last weekend for her.
I still can't get over all the water we lost here.
Bill

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only corn left standing here is for cob or kernal corn. Some soybeans left. Yotes that were in corn fields are in woods or brush high grass fields. Only pheasants up here in north central Wi are pheasant ranches pay to shoot. One sees birds that wander off and are picking grit on side of road. They dont last long in the wild for the majority. Have seen were some pheasants that were just let loose are still surviving with flocks of hens running around every year. Problem is so much land under cultivation and no wild grass or praire for them. A few yote trappers have set steel, im waiting till November first as i usually do and will pick up some rats and mink when they are on my travels , no running out of the way. Have to skin and board a few, $$$ not in the mind, just the act of doing it. Froze hard here so now i have to dig my 2000 plus gladiolus bulbs and put away for winter.... lots of work but like seeing them bloom in summer..... nuff for now.... watch for those probable yote sets in fields..........................

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Kickback i thought of you when the neighbor hood dog made a kickback next to one of my pine trees, what goes, you putting any bracelets on the local yote population?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts