Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently purchased a Kimber Montana 308 and have problems with getting the correct load. I have shot several bullet types and two different recommended powders and various powder loads. I spoke to a Kimber rep and was not too successful with getting any info from him. Basically, I was told anything other than factory loads would void the warranty. He did add that the barrel needs to be completey cold before the next round could be fired. Is this typical for getting the accuracy I expect?. Also, if there are any loads recommended, I would appreciate any feedback.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Bullet types or bullet weights????

Waiting till completely cold is BS----a good rifle will lay them in there hot or cold---anytime---everytime.

Think that deer is gonna wait around till your barrel cools????

·
Registered
641 Posts
While deer hunting you never let the barrel get that hot. The cold barrel theory is for people going out to the range going boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom...............boom boom boom boom within a 15 minute period, you start to have problems. I am not going to sight in my rifle according to that last 'boom', because while deer hunting you are most likely to take one shot - from a COLD BARREL. I don't see how the extra caution could hurt.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Like I said---good rifle will lay them in there hot or cold.

Not disparaging the Kimber----it seems he just hasn't found the right bullet weight yet.

But I've had/have----Browning's---Tikka's---Sako's--Cooper---that are accurate----hot or cold all day long---anytime----everytime.

Not to mention how well my AR-15's shoot-----and those babies get REALLY hot.

·
Administrator
26,058 Posts
Good rifles and good rifle barrels shoot good hot or cold and good barrels with good bedding do not wander when hot.

Still the ONLY group that matters in a hunting situation is the one shot group made from a cold barrel on the first shot. If you really want to know what will happen when hunting shoot one shot and take it home and put it away exactly the way it will be put away during hunting season whether that means clean or fouled. Do it five days and whatever that group looks like is what you can expect to happen when you go hunting.

The first shot on a big game rifle is the ONE that matters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts