Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at and handling several 1911 pistols (Springfield Armory, Para-Ord, S&W, Kimber) I am leaning towards the Kimber Custom II Stainless. I currently have several Rugers (including a 40 S&W in DAO) with no problems anywhere. As the 1911 is new to me, any experience with the above or similar gun would be appreciated. I will assume (I know, bad thing to do) that they will handle most ammo. I reload so I will be using 230 grain Hornady XTP's as the primary bullet with Winchester Brass. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
:) Check out 1911forum.com. They have a section for Kimbers with lots of opinions on what is out there. I'm shooting a Springfield Compact V-10.
It is ported and cycles with everything I've fed it. I would not recommend a ported firearm for concealed carry. It works OK for target shooting. Every owner of Kimber I know likes their choice. Good luck

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
1911s

hay jrc: I've had Colts, and still have an old Commander, but switched to Springfield for the quality and service. I wouldn't trade either. The Kimber is well thought of and rightly so - it is the favorite of many 1911 shooters. The new S&W 1911 looks absolutely great and either Shooting Times or Guns and Ammo just ran a test on them and the performance was flawless.

The Para-Ordinance pistols look very good and those who own them like them very much. I would opt for a Springfield first as they are a bit less expensive than the Kimber and then if you want to go upscale, you could always go to the Kimber. I would hold for just a bit on the S&Ws until someone conducts a torture test to see how long they last and how well they hold up. Then, once you feel you have gotten familiar enough with the functioning of the 1911, you may wish to try the Para-Ordinance.

Hope this helps. Mikey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.