Graybeard Outdoors banner

Kimber custom II

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Bigeasy 
#1 ·
Anyone have this 1911? With gander mountain going out of business they have them marked to $599. Going to buy one tonight. This will be my first 1911, figures for the price I can't pass it up! I have seen mixed reviews on it. Any first hand experience? It's the bi tone model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I have the same model in the pre-II version, as well as three II versions in other Kimber 1911 models. In my opinion, they are very nice guns, and for $599, a steal. All mine have been accurate and reliable, or I wouldn't buy them. The II versions use MIM parts, which sends traditionalists into a tizzy. But MIM parts have proven themselves to be just as strong and durable as forged parts, with better consistency, hence less hand fitting and lower cost. Virtually all 1911's these days, as well as most firearms in general do as well. They work.

The II versions differ from the pre-II models in that they use a firing pin safety. Unlike some designs that depend on trigger pull to disengage it, the Kimber version is disengaged by the grip safety. Trigger pull is as nice and crisp as models without the safety system.

I think a lot of the stuff you hear on the net is the "parrot syndrome", not real experience by actual owners. One complaint about reliability that may hold water is when it comes to ammo. If you reload, your reloads have to be in spec. Kimbers I have owned all have chambers on the tight side, which means sloppy ammo could be a problem. Good reloads or any decent factory ammo should work fine. Not just Kimbers, but any tight 1911 can be problematic if limp wristed also.

Pictured is a friends daughter last summer shooting my Kimber Custom in 45acp. Only her second time shooting, and first time with a .45. Not bad.

Write a few comments after you have had a chance to put some rounds down the pipe, let us know what you think about it.

Larry

Attachments

#5 ·
Glad to hear its shooting well for you. If that mag keeps giving you problems, might want to try CM or Wilson mags, or for that matter, another Ruger if they work well in your gun. Black sights are great in strong light, using a 6 o'clock hold, but can be a PITA in poor light. A dab of liquid white out, or finger nail polish on the front sight helps a lot. Looks like good shooting to me...

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.