Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am still waiting for my new Kimber super match, I guess patience is a lesson that I still need to learn.

I began to make reloads for the new gun, then realized that a 200gr swc will not necessarily shoot in all guns. Does anybody load for the kimber 45 acp with 200gr swc in pb? If you would also share pet load info I can compare to mine. Of particular interest is C.O.L. Thanks for any help!

Fred :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
yes, i shoot the lee 200 gr. tumble lube swc in a kimber stainless target.5.6 grains unique,length looks to be 1.25.this is an ugly, sticky round with the tumble lube , but the kimber eats this stuff up!oh, the bullet is homecast from random range lead...do that help??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another vote for the 200gr. lee tumble lube. Pushed by 4.5 grs. Titegroup, .469 crimp at 1.250 OAL. Very accurate, mild recoil, only problem is my gun eats 'em fast as I get 'em loaded.
jim

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
The 1.250length is generally ok----I thing the crimp is more important to feeding. Get a Lee factory crimp die,
Stay safe,
Savage

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Savage

I ordered a lee factory crimp die last night for my acp and 44 mag. They seem to be a good idea. I have been seating and crimping with standard dies in two steps with better results, I am anxious to try the lee factory crimp die.

C.O.L. at 1.250 is at the shoulder of swc. But it seem to feed in my army acp. I expect my new Kimber any day and we will see when it arrives.

Thanks everybody for your help with load dimensions, it got me thinking.

Fred :grin: :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I spent yesterday testing several loads for my Kimber gun. Don't remember the model but it is blue with adjustable sights...

200gr. cast swc from ww out of an RCBS mold. Came out at 206 gr.
Sized at .452.
Crimped at .471.
COL 1.250.
All rounds out of once (or several times) fired brass with CCI primers.
I shot at least 3 groups with each load to help decrease my affect on group.
All groups at 25 yard on a sunny day at about 60 degrees.

4.5 gr. Hodgdon International
Avg. approx. 740 fps.
SD 20-39
Kept getting vertical groups of about 2 inches. Shot better with 5.0 grains (did not chrono). Clean.

4.0 gr. Hodgdon Clays
Avg. approx. 800 fps.
SD 12-22
Nice round groups from 1.81" to 2.36". I hoped this load was going to shoot better. Clean.

4.2 gr. Titegroup
Avg. approx 750 fps.
SD 4-5. Suprise!!!
Nice tight groups of 1.42" to 1.66". Clean. Will probably marry this load.

4.2 gr. Winchester Super Target
Avg. approx. 925 fps.
SD 35-40. Suprise! My old standby load.
Round groups approx. 2 ". Have about 2000 of these loaded. Wil not load any more!!!

A guy next to me shot some 200 gr swc with 5.0 gr Unique for 750 fps. Did not get SD.

I compared the same charge of Win. Super Target with Tightgroup because somebody told me they are the same powder. It is obvious they ain't!!!

I hope this isn't too much but I hope it sheds some light on what you can expect outside of a loading manual.

Beau

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lee factory crimp die

Just loaded 300 acp and 100 44 mag rounds and used the Lee factory crimp die.

It worked perfectly and improved the cycle of acp and overall appearance.

I will use this die and will order others as well.

This was a great suggestion.

New Kimber is just broke in to Kimber specs (500 rounds jacketed ammo) and I will begin load development now.

Thanks for all the advice.

Fred :D :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.