Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I aplogize for my inactivity recently, but in addition to a heavy work load, I have been faced with great financial issues as well as the death of my uncle, and now my best friend's mother is in the hospital in a coma. Moreover, I just sold my house in Coral Gables and I have to organize and move everything virtually by myself. Needless to say, this has been one of the hardest times in my life, and I'm seriously very surprised that the stress has not killed me despite my ever increasing chest pains. In any event, below is the long anticipated range report on my Kimber Montana in 300WSM.

As many of you will recall, I had some issues with the rifle. First, there was a problem with the bolt. It was bent and did not turn properly. It was sent to Kimber and it was fixed within a week - talk about excellent customer service. Then, I noticed that the bolt was kinda loose when you shook the rifle. Kimber said that this was a new design that allowed the bolt to be turned and pulled back and forth more smoothly. As such, if you place a round in the magazine, the friction and contact upon the bolt prevents the rattling sound by about 75%. I can confirm that this is true.

Now, what about the accuracy? Well, I purchased two boxes of ammo - one was Federal Premium 180 grain Nosler Partitions, and the other was 180 Barnes TSX. This gun is ideal for elk and mule deer hunting in high country, so these loads should be ideal for such hunting. The weather was HOT in Miami - over 90 degrees, and the wind was about 5 to 10 miles per hour if I remember correctly. Keep in mind that Kimbers are fairly light, and their barrels are very thin. As such, my hopes of accuracy were 1.5 inches or better. I noticed that my first two shots were always very close, and that the third shot was always noticeably further - although still very good.

For example, the first two shots from the Nosler Partitions grouped the two bullets at .40 inches (all C-T-C) - that's awesome. The third shot took it out to .75" but that is still great! After 3 shots, the groups really took off because the barrel got real hot in a hurry.

The Barnes TSX showed similar results. Many say that the Barnes X is a very unpredictable bullet - great accuracy in some rifles but, more often than not, bad accuracy in others. In all of my rifles, the Barnes X shoots 1MOA or better. Still, people say that the new TSX bullet exhibits more uniform accuracy.

In the Kimber, the closest first two shots were about the same as the Nosler Partitions - .50". Half in two shots groups from a hot thin barrel - that's excellent. The third shot took it out to a full 1 inch, but that may or may not have been at my fault. I was sweating and the sweat droplets may have interfered with the shot - I really don't specifically remember. Still 1MOA with the TSX (or any other bullet for that matter) is excellent. In all fairness, my Kimber with the TSXs could probably shoot just as good, if not better, than the Partitions.

I took some pictures for all of you to see. Forgive me for the fuzzy images. The first one is with the Nosler Partitions, and the second is with the Barnes TSX.

Again, I apologize for the late report, but I just couldn't do it any faster.[/color]

·
Registered
641 Posts
Looks good, Zachary. I am sure it would shoot better with handloads or even giving it a while to cool off. But .75" just aint bad at all! My gun should be here next week.

·
Administrator
26,058 Posts
Yeah Zach but what we "really" want to know is have you gotten married yet? If so those chest pains are really fixing to increase. Not to mention the headaches. :-D

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know GB, you made me smile for the first time in about 3 or 4 days - God Bless you for that. :grin:

No, under the current circumstances I can't get married yet, but, from what most married men tell me, I'm going to be in for quite a doozy. :)

Zachary :D [/color]

·
Registered
188 Posts
I feel your pain

Zachary,

I don't have chest pains, and thank God, I don't have to deal with
South Florida's heat, but I am in the process of building a new
home, and we close on the sale of our current home Aug. 1.
I can sympathize with being EXTREMELY busy.
I have a range on my new home property, and I haven't had
even a few minutes to shoot a couple of groups with the new
Tikka. So I can appreciate your effort to get to the range, given
your circumstances. Those groups look very good, for a lightweight
sporter rifle. Kimber did well by you.

Oh, on that married topic, if you think moving you was difficult,
try moving a wife of thirty years that comes from a long line
of junk...er antique collectors! I don't have chest pains, but
my aching back has helped some chiropractor buy a new
boat, or SUV!

I wish you the best with all of your life's turmoil. Hopefully
more peace and quiet, is in both of our futures.

Squeeze

1 - 5 of 5 Posts