Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my Kimber 84M Montana range-ready. Topped it with a Leupold VX-III 2.5x8x32 and Leupold rings/bases.

Anyways, took it out to the range for the first time today and I am satisfied for the most part with the results.

I tried both 140gr Remington Core Lokts and Federal Premium Nosler Partitions. The Remintgtons were 1" @ 100 yards with the exception of 220 yards where it opened up.

At 100 yards, the Federals shot a little under 1.5". At 220 yards, however, I managed to shoot 1". Not bad! All were 3 shot groups on a warm (not hot) barrel.

Take a look at the targets below. I am just showing the partitions, no sense in taking pics of the core lokts. The one on the left is at 100 yards, right is at 220 yards. :D I guess I'll keep her.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Good thing you shot it at the longer distance, otherwise you'd have had to send it back. :roll:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, it's always one flyer that screws up the group :twisted: :-D

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to even tell you what caliber it is :) 7mm-08

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just got the same rifle and scope. Only difference is I went with Talley mounts. I can't wait to get out and shoot it if it will quit raining long enough.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about going Talley, but the only bases for that gun I could say I even liked was the once piece, but then I realized it didnt fit with the style of the gun and quality of the scope - Soo, I went with Leupold. Talley makes fine rings and bases I am sure it will find you well.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
It's odd how the rifle seems to be more accurate at 200 yards than it is at 100 yards, but it has happened to me as well. My father has an older Remington BDL in .30-06. It has been so long since I shot that rifle, that I forgot what factory loads that I used in it. Anyhow, the groups at 100 yards were a tad bit under an inch at 100 yards, but at 200 yards the bullets were touching! I went back and shot at 100 yards and the groups went right back at about an inch. I went back again at 200 yards and the bullets went right back to touching.

You are not the first person that this has happened to. In fact, this issue came up some time ago by another member (or perhaps moderator - I don't remember). In his post, he too mentioned that his gun had better groups at 200 yards than it did at 100 yards. I remember him asking if we thought he was crazy. Truth be told, prior to his post, I was never going to mention this phenomena to anyone out of concern that no one would believe me and think that I too was crazy. :eek: Oh boy was I happy that he too experienced this same thing, and now I'm happy to hear that you are now the third person that this has happened to. :)

It's not a problem.....just make sure that your shots are at 200 yards. :)

Zachary[/color]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts