Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about this last deer season too. With a heavy jacket, orange vest, 2 shirts I had trouble this year with 14" LOP. I can't cut the stock down because I put the sling swivel too close to end of stock ::) Should I just get scope with more eye relief?

The current scope is a Simmons WTC 3-9 with 3.25" eye relief. Does longer eye relief really solve the problem? It is awkward to shoulder in addition to the cheekweld/eye relief problem.

·
Registered
749 Posts
you can always use offset rings and set the scope back some. Have you had the rifle fit to you? Most people will shot there rifles as they come of the shelf and they might or might not fit. I would start by checking your LOP(length of pull), with hunting cloths on and in just shirt sleeves. split the difference, have your rifle cut to that LOP ( from curve in the trigger to where the recoil pad or butt plate ends).Next close eyes shoulder the rifle open eyes you should be looking down the scope  at the middle of the crosshairs . here is where you adjust scope hieght (on your Handi remember that hammer must clear use a hammer offsett too) and eye relief.  if you know how to make the measurement  and can do the work it;s not hard. if not sure see a quailified Gunsmith have him do it the price of a fitted gun is worth Althought my personal tastes are Handis lever actions  I worked in a gun shop that sold upper end shotguns I was trained in fitting firearms to there owners so this I know and know well. Once fitted it;s yours  no one you know might be able to shoot that rifle or shotgun as well o

sorry for getting windy
Foggy
any Questions E-mail is in my profile

·
Registered
12 Posts
What about getting a youth stock so you have a stock for warm weather and less clothes, and a stock for cold weather and more clothes.

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Or go with the Choate Varmint stock and adjust it to the conditions. But either way, you'll want a scope with non-critical eye relief, that pretty much narrows the field to a Leupold. 8)

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I use a 3X9X40 Banner with a 6" eye relief and the Weaver base. The forward positioned slots of the base allow the scope to be mounted far enough forward to work well. I get a good cheek weld while wearing insulated overalls with a bulky wool sweater underneath and full field of vision through the scope

The rear ring is close to the ocular lens bell but does not touch it. I've since moved the scope about a 1/8" rearward.

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
Take the butpad off & shoulder the gun with yourhunting cloths on, see How it feels. If it feels good cut the stock down ;)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I like the TDC jr. stock for winter clothes. Longer than a youth, shorter than normal.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about missing everyone's replies. I did as Burntmuch suggested and took the recoil pad off. The stock feels pretty good with two shirts and jacket on. That is about 3/4" shorter. I think that I will cut the stock and regrind the Limbsaver. I was never really happy with the fit of the stock to the pad anyway.

Where or how do you get a stock fitted? I know the old chestnut about comparing the length of your forearm to the stock with your hand on the grip.......it doesn't quite work for me with long neck/shortened collarbone.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reading the first link, my issue is always (except with the synthetic Savage Mark II stock) that the toe of the stock digs into my collarbone. I end up with so much drop in a stock that I lose a good cheekweld. I could learn how to shoot like a European, but I don't care to. I have a Winchester 670 that fits well with Summer clothes on, but pretty much everything else is a compromise. The Enfield fits okay too thinking about it.

I think that I am back to the idea of trying this Morgan:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8740&title=ADJUSTABLE RECOIL PAD

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
That was gonna be my next suggestion as I was readin your reply!! ;D

Tim

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I find my perfect LOP is 13 1/4 I for one I did swap the recoil pad to a 1/2" compared to the 1" that comes with the rifle.I do have a scope with a 3 1/2 eye relief but still would like another 1/4 off the LOP .I would like to try to find a thinner recoil pad the ones they use on the older center fire rifle made of plastic or change the rings for that extra 1/4".
I just don't want to cut the Cinnamon laminated stock ???

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
See the "Butt plate instead of pad" link in the FAQs, brownell's sells a thin plate for H&Rs. I believe Pachmayr also makes a thin pad, I have a couple of em, one on the t-hole Ultra that has a Marlin logo on it, the other is an Uncle Mike's on a straight lam set on my 357mag

Tim

http://www.lymanproducts.com/pachmayr/fieldcat.htm#RP250B

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
lonewolf5348 said:
just said:
Here is the butt plate link if recoil is no concern

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,111188.msg1098339136.html#msg1098339136

A handi way to measure your length of pull is to place the gun butt or a yard stick at your inside elbow joint while at 90 degree angle and measure to your trigger finger pad same.

Heavy clothes also need accounting for.

any idea what the measurement are seem they don't post it ?
As I remember the measurements were on the Brownells butt plate link..............I think.

Either way it way a little bigger all around when I ground mine down..............simple job

1 - 20 of 20 Posts