Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have placed two folding knives in my safe to give to my grandson. No longer use them or risk loosing them. Both are Case. One has carbon steel. MIT is a large folding model. My grandad used it to cut harness leather. The other is a stock knife which was given to me by a shipmate, because I always liked his pocket knife better than mine. Case replaced the stag handles for free about 25 years ago. That is when I retired it.

Funny how a pocket knife can have so much sentimental value, when it was owned by a deceased relative or special friend.

·
23,845 Posts
I've got some Case carbon steel folders that have never been carried. Their just laying in a drawer.

I carry a soulless Benchmade with D2 steel.
Great knife, but bland in appearance.

My Case folders that I've carried, I've given to my oldest boy except for one. He carries one of'em.

My Case knives have character, but lack ease of use compared to the Benchmade.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
They are personal; over the years I have just reached in my pocket and given somebody a knife, as a token of friendship.

..But I find it is hard to just give a knife away ! It seems there is an old custom that says, a gift knife must somehow be paid for.

So with some..I am forced to accept a quarter, in order to present them with a knife. ????

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
IG - I believe the old custom you refer to says that if you give something sharp (knife, axe, etc) to a friend it will cut, or sever, the friendship.

No need to get greedy and take quarters - a penny will do!! ha ha

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
I had a friend years ago if you gave him any type of knife he would hand you a penny some old folk thing he said.

Deaconllb

·
23,845 Posts
I used to give nice Case carbon steel pocket knives to the men on Linda's side of the family every Christmas.
Then one or two started "suggesting" more expensive knives and different types. Bowie's, ect..
Now, after they successfully missed my point, and started thinking for me. They get, nothing.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I used to give nice Case carbon steel pocket knives to the men on Linda's side of the family every Christmas.
Then one or two started "suggesting" more expensive knives and different types. Bowie's, ect..
Now, after they successfully missed my point, and started thinking for me. They get, nothing.
Right on; :tango_face_grin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts