Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for you experienced ML hunters. When you are done hunting for the day do you shoot off your ML or just remove the primer till the next days hunt? I gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em (as Kenny Rogers used to sing).

Long

·
Administrator
26,165 Posts
Unless it's been a wet day I leave my loaded. I have even left it loaded at the end of season and it still fired first try the following year when getting it ready. I've never had a misfire with a muzzle loader due to the cleaning and storage practices I use. I use only Pyrodex and #11 caps also.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Have kept mine loaded for weeks at a time as long as the load is in a clean barrel. Never any problems. However, I wouldn't do it if I shot a fouling shot before loading.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I used to leave it loaded, but I had a couple hang-fires and a misfire. Not very frequent in the grand scheme of things. It's not worth the risk on a deer, I fire them off now.

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
I leave it loaded. Never had a problem in 25 years.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
I always leave mine loaded unless I fire it and reload for a follow-up shot. Then I will pull the load toss the powder and clean the bullet/sabot clean the barrel real well and reload with the "used" bullet.

I will pull the load at the end of each season and re clean the barrel: So In Maryland I use mine for the 3 day early M.L. season then use it for the week doe M.l. season. I will then pull the load and clean then load for run season and at the end of the 2 weeks I pull it and clean it then I will take it out for the 2 week late season M.L. season

I also leave my fire arm in my truck when I can to reduce the chance of condensation build up from taking it from cold to warm back to cold

·
Registered
311 Posts
I leave mine loaded(if unfired) for the whole season. The only time I would unload it during hunting season is if I thought it had had a chance to draw moisture from ("real heavy rain hunting"). If the gun has been fires once,it get's cleaned after the days hunting is over. I really don't worry about which powder I've shot through it. All powder contains charcoal,and once shot,the charcoal draws mositure like a sponge. So it get's cleaned. Ron

·
Registered
739 Posts
I hunted for over ten years in Georgia with my TC Hawken, using black powder and round balls. There was no muzzleloading season, so, sometimes I took the scoped Mauser, sometimes I took the Hawken. The season was three months long.
It might be that it was six weeks between shots with the Hawken. I always left the gun loaded, and never had a failure to fire. I was meticulous about cleaning all the oil from the nipple, barrel and drum with pipe cleaners, etc. It is very humid in Georgia.
Now, up here in North Carolina, I shoot the Savage. I have left it loaded for ten months with no ignition or accuracy problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts