Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting some kroil and wanted to know if anyone uses the Penephite kind, or just standard kroil? And is the aerosol the same as the liquid formula? :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use regular Kroil mixed 50/50 with Shooters Choice to clean my barrels. I usually run a couple of wet patches and let it sit a spell before running clean patches through. Seems to do a good job of getting all the fouling out, especially in my .17 HMR.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Yup, Shooters Choice mixed with 25-30% Kroil has been my cleaning fluid for years then finish with J-B paste. It is fast and not too messy with a patch wrapped around a bronze brush.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Get the liquid stuff in the can.
I've never heard of the penephite kind; from the name it sounds like it might have graphite in it. The aerosol I've seen is called silikroil; it has silicone in the formula.

The variants seem to have some anti-friction type component. Kroil ("the oil that creeps") is basicly a solvent-based penetrant/lubricant that quickly loses it's lubricity as the silvent evaporates, taking most of the "oil" with it.

It's great for cleaning bores, I like 50/50 Kroil/Shooter's choice copper solvent for my standard bore cleaning; for break-in of new bores I add an equal amount of GM top cylinder lube to the 50/50 mixture.

Keep the solvents capped when not in use or they lose potency.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil is another light, penetrating oil used for years for gun cleaning. Don't know about any significant differences between MMO and Kroil but it's about $2.50 a quart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts