Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
22,212 Posts
never could see how sports stars became heros. They get paid to play a fricking game. Now a soldier, fireman, police officer ect are the people that should get our attention when they die tragically. If this would have been a local police chief it wouldn't even have made the national news. MY salute goes to the soldiers over there in combat dyeing for me that's names never make the news. REAL HEROS. Not someone that can shoot a free throw and makes millions of dollars a year to play a GAME and fly to his daughters game in a private helicopter! The way hes talked about on tv youd think he cured cancer.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
The players are a product and the ad campaign is about hero worship. Ever seen bubble gum cards? Its all about selling stuff to kids. Ever seen expensive nba branded sneakers? It's about selling expensive shoes to people who admire the hero. Ever seen a scandalized athlete dumped instantly by a company that used to make millions in merch? Gotta protect the brand.

Ever read a newspaper? Sports journalism is an industry and the ad campaign is hero worship and scandal and success and winning and losing. It's a diversion.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Only thing I can say is I'm sure thousands of small kids without money who emulated Kobe are heartbroken. The one's that never could afford to watch him in a game. Only on tv.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Elvis has been dead for around 43 years and women still stand around at Graceland and blubber every year when they probably haven't been to their family's graves since they died.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As in ancient Rome..Juvenal pointed out that the evil emperors could do almost anything, just so long as they provided "bread and circuses" to the masses.

So long as they got enough bread & circuses...they will stay fat, dumb and happy !

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Elvis has been dead for around 43 years and women still stand around at Graceland and blubber every year when they probably haven't been to their family's graves since they died.
What???? Elvis is dead????? We have a crazy couple in this town....he thinks that he is Elvis and dresses the part everywhere he goes and the dizzy broad that he is married to thinks he is too.

When I look at obituaries I feel bad for all involved. This one is no different, nine good people died to early. Everyone of them had equal value to me. They died doing what they loved to do in their lucrative lifestyle.

I agree with Lloyd. A person who dies while fulfilling an obligation to serve and protect the rest of us is the real hero as their line of duty is not a game!

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From Gpa;

" I agree with Lloyd. A person who dies while fulfilling an obligation to serve and protect the rest of us is the real hero as their line of duty is not a game."

I agree with you and Lloyd also !

·
22,212 Posts
yup its sad when some millionaire sports guy dies in his private helicopter and millions cry and when a corporal dies bleeding to death with his legs blown off by an ied and it doesn't even make the national news.

·
Registered
509 Posts
When one enlists in the military, you sign a blank check to your country up to and including your life if necessary. Considering that we have been at war for quite some time, I'd say that you have to be a bit courageous to sign that check.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
When one enlists in the military, you sign a blank check to your country up to and including your life if necessary. Considering that we have been at war for quite some time, I'd say that you have to be a bit courageous to sign that check.
My thoughts exactly.

·
22,212 Posts
HUGE difference in a basketball millionaire dyeing in a plane crash and a soldier dyeing in battle. If you cant see which is a hero then theres no help for you and any words here are wasted. Being willing to die for ME or your country SURELY makes you a hero even before you make that sacrifice. The lowliest private stuck in some basement doing paper work did more for me and this country then he did. What sickens me is this country is so far out of touch with reality that they make him a hero. NOTHING TO SEE HERE!

·
23,845 Posts
Dying in the act is not a measure of heroism.
Yeah, but bouncin a ball is?

Folks are wanting an explanation regardin that one Conan.

I like the statement of; "koby died doin what he loved".

Koby loved crashing helicopters into mountains?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I like the statement of; "koby died doin what he loved".

Koby loved crashing helicopters into mountains?
Kolbe died on the way to yet another basketball event....that is what he was doing as in his plan for the day. I can imagine them all sitting in that chopper talking basketball when that chopper slammed into the ground. From what I have read and from the coverage none on board knew what hit them. One second they were in their element(basketball) and the next they were gone.

In a nutshell the business he was about when he died was basketball!

There is that better!

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
He was a basketball player nothing more, certainly not heroic by 99.9% of GBO member's opinions.
All he did was play basketball. What in the he11 is there to look up to in doing that for a living!
He made millions of dollars playing a game. He caused thousands of people to go out and buy his stuff for no good dam* reason. Selfish of him dont you think! He was accused of raping a girl but charges were dropped and he settled out of court in the civil case. After that is was between his wife, himself and God to determine judgment....oh and apparently 99.9% of GBO members qualify as judge in this case as well....at least it appears this way judging from the post. He made his money and he retired and just flits around the country in his helicopter going to his kids games and trying to be a good father at least as much as any selfish bastar% of a ball player can be a good father. His charities that he and hid probably selfish wife have started (i mean there has to be a selfish motive behind them considering what a worthless POS he is) have raised hundreds of millions of dollars for good caused but in all honesty he probably did it for some nefarious purpose. He traveled to different places in the country over 250 times to see a sick child in the Make a Wish program. Imagine that over 250 times he used some sick child in some kind of scheme to profit in some way! Sickening isnt it! One of his charities raised 80 million dollars for cancer research and I would like to give him the nod for that as I just lost a dear friend to AML leukemia but knowing him he probably profited in some way so screw him!

NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Every person who joins our military is a hero in my eyes!

Nothing listed in my sarcastic diatribe above reaches the level of heroic. He was a flawed individual who made some very bad mistakes and hurt people. That does not change the fact that he did many things to help many people in need. I can respect the deeds and be quite aware that a flawed person is responsible for those actions.

CR

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
He was a basketball player nothing more, certainly not heroic by 99.9% of GBO member's opinions.
All he did was play basketball. What in the he11 is there to look up to in doing that for a living!
He made millions of dollars playing a game. He caused thousands of people to go out and buy his stuff for no good dam* reason. Selfish of him dont you think! He was accused of raping a girl but charges were dropped and he settled out of court in the civil case. After that is was between his wife, himself and God to determine judgment....oh and apparently 99.9% of GBO members qualify as judge in this case as well....at least it appears this way judging from the post. He made his money and he retired and just flits around the country in his helicopter going to his kids games and trying to be a good father at least as much as any selfish bastar% of a ball player can be a good father. His charities that he and hid probably selfish wife have started (i mean there has to be a selfish motive behind them considering what a worthless POS he is) have raised hundreds of millions of dollars for good caused but in all honesty he probably did it for some nefarious purpose. He traveled to different places in the country over 250 times to see a sick child in the Make a Wish program. Imagine that over 250 times he used some sick child in some kind of scheme to profit in some way! Sickening isnt it! One of his charities raised 80 million dollars for cancer research and I would like to give him the nod for that as I just lost a dear friend to AML leukemia but knowing him he probably profited in some way so screw him!

NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Every person who joins our military is a hero in my eyes!

Nothing listed in my sarcastic diatribe above reaches the level of heroic. He was a flawed individual who made some very bad mistakes and hurt people. That does not change the fact that he did many things to help many people in need. I can respect the deeds and be quite aware that a flawed person is responsible for those actions.

CR
I give 10% of my money to charity too. I wonder if I'll be the main headline for the 10 O"clock news for a week straight when I fall out of my tree stand. Put what he gave into perspective with what he received and he was just another good guy.....and that he was.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts