Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an LBT 408 368 SP1R Bullet Mold. Can you tell me what rifle you believe it is intended for, please?

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Try asking the maker , I don"t use them but NOE/Accurate are some I use and every thing sold is in their catalog . Easy to do /Ed

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Try asking the maker , I don"t use them but NOE/Accurate are some I use and every thing sold is in their catalog . Easy to do /Ed
That is an LBT mould, and he's asking in the "Ask Veral Smith of LBT Q&A" forum, so he *is* asking the maker... Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything from Veral in a really long time so I don't know if he will get a response or not.

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
You may have to register, a simple task, then ask your question on Forum Molds....Maintenance and Design in this link:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

They WILL know for certain and answer right quick too.

[LATE NOTE] I did some Net-searching. Found you linked at Castboolits. See that you are a member there and have ended your "WTS" thread when you did not get any response in 7 days. Not what I would have expected at Cast Boolits...

Here is what I found for Spitzer type boolits (your mold is probably a Custom build by LBT - fits in the caliber/weight ranges below) in their 44 page Catalog (I have no idea what "1R" designates and speculated it means First Rerun - a 1st Run would be just "SP" I think in accordance with the LBT ordering instructions). The catalog is about 10-years old and there has been a lot of SILENCE from Veral Smith on GBO, whether by bustling business, health, or unknown consequences.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,211 Posts
Veral dropped off here way back when we sold the site out in 2014. He already wasn't as active before we sold as he had been in the past. He said due to his health and how busy he was. After we sold out he got that same deal I guess we all did about changing password and such and I don't think he ever came back on here since.

I should have ended this forum a long time ago and combined the contents here with the cast bullet forum but I just can't seem to figure out quite how to do that using this software. I've tried on some others I wanted to combine and just can't seem to make it happen, thus this one is still here.

I've not personally talked with Veral since 2014.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to first thank you all for your information, before I forget. I figured Mr. Smith would know, or have a record, of what this mold is (was?) for. I seem to remember reading something here before that he hadn't been heard from for awhile. I hope he is happy whatever he is doing. Through the magic of "Google" I found a few possibilities including that .408 CheyTac. I looked for a barrel with a .406" diameter, since the mold would drop a .408" bullet, and cast bullets are generally .001"-002" bigger than their jacketed counterparts. So I found .40-65 Winchester, 40-72, 406 Shiloh Sharps and other classic older rifles. I thought castboolits.com would have a buyer and say it was just what they needed for their big kaboomer gun, but no luck. Trying here to sell at the same time trying to find out what gun owners might be interested and look for caliber specific websites. Someone should need this. Finally my decoding of the mold was a .408" 368gr. Spiral Point w/ 1 Ogive Radius. Still no answer to my quest, but maybe a step closer. Thanks again all of you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This mold with make bullets for any rifle with a 408 diameter or smaller groove diameter barrel. Simply fit it to the throat so it will chamber. Veral Smith

·
Registered
18 Posts
SP1R stands for Spitzer with 1" radius ogive. I make Spitzer molds with .6 ogive radius (stamped SP), .8 radius (SP.8), and 1 inch radius (SP1R). These ogive curves are the same regardless of caliber, though all are not suitable to any caliber. For example, the SP (.6 radius) is very streamlined for bullets from 22 up to 6.5, but bullets begin to look tubby
as calibers get larger. The SP.8 becomes very effective for calibers from 6MM up to 45 and for reasons which I don't understand, in a 39 caliber 100 yard comparison, with 200 grain bullets, started at 2100 fps, bullet drop was the same as my SP1R. The SP1R in 30 caliber using bullets from 190 to 200 grains has won many national bench rest matches over the years. I've done no comparison testing with larger or smaller calibers but tend to recommend the SP1R ogive to customers ordering molds for heavy (for the caliber) bullets of 338 and larger caliber.

And yes, I'm still around and doing business almost as I used to..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you Bill. We CAN fix that lack of phone communication pretty easy. My number hasn't changed. Give me a jingle and tell the answer machine your phone number and best time for me to call you back.
I'm glad you weren't able to end this forum. Looks like I came back in the nick of time!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to first thank you all for your information, before I forget. I figured Mr. Smith would know, or have a record, of what this mold is (was?) for. I seem to remember reading something here before that he hadn't been heard from for awhile. I hope he is happy whatever he is doing. Through the magic of "Google" I found a few possibilities including that .408 CheyTac. I looked for a barrel with a .406" diameter, since the mold would drop a .408" bullet, and cast bullets are generally .001"-002" bigger than their jacketed counterparts. So I found .40-65 Winchester, 40-72, 406 Shiloh Sharps and other classic older rifles. I thought castboolits.com would have a buyer and say it was just what they needed for their big kaboomer gun, but no luck. Trying here to sell at the same time trying to find out what gun owners might be interested and look for caliber specific websites. Someone should need this. Finally my decoding of the mold was a .408" 368gr. Spiral Point w/ 1 Ogive Radius. Still no answer to my quest, but maybe a step closer. Thanks again all of you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts