Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lead free solder

Oatey's lead free solder is 95%tin5%antimoiny.That's what I use with 35lbs lead for the .40-65. Lp. :D

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lead free solder

Hi Texas. I'm a Plumber so I get it at a discount.I found some at Farm and Fleet on sale for a little over $5 a roll.I like to use Oatey22017 that stuff is 95%tin 5% antimony, which I add 35 lbs lead that workes best for my .40-65 and It castes a good bullet.
You want to remember when you use 50-50 solder you almost double the cost to get the same amount of tin.I know if you buy 50-50 lead tin solder it is a little cheaper but you dont get the antimoney which helps prevent the solder from smearing,I know that happens from gas blow by but a lead tin mixture will smear also with out gas blow by,that is why the antimoney is important in bullet alloy.A good source for the antimony is your wheal weight.I always add a 1lb ingot of that if I dont use the Oatey to get the antimoney.It also filles the mould out betterwith good sharp edges but you tend to get that frosty look.Lp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.