Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard of lead alloy (what Brinell Hardness)do I need? For the 500S&W load of LIL GUN at 34 grains.I hope to get around 1500fs. I'm off to cast some now.I will check in later. Thanks 26-t I'm back ,the alloy that I cast came in at 13.4 BHN, strength is 19058 psi, for a max. chamber psi of 17152. Is this to soft ? :-\ 26-t

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts
A lot depends on how the bullet fits the bore, you should slug it(FAQs), then size your cast bullets .002" larger than the groove diameter for the best results, a good smokeless bullet lube is also recommended. ;) Hodgdon lists 35gr Lil'gun as max for a 440gr gas checked bullet, 34gr is pretty warm for an unchecked bullet.

Tim

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I cast mine a bit on the hard side. maybe a 50/50 pure lead / Linotype mix. Then add a GC when sizing to 502. I like the vale of lil gun but accuracy is lacking.

I just got home form the range myself.

I shot about 7 different loads for the 500. Most (4) where same as usual. I start with a half way decent group, then an unexplainable flyer....... Until I tried some H4227 powder with a 3000FTX bullet. These shot in a line about 3" long and 3/4" wide. Better!! The next load was the same powder, with a 385Rem HP. This one shot a very nice 2" round group for all ten shots!!!!

The last load was a lite load with Trail Boss powder and my own cast 440WFNGC bullets. This shot about 18" high, so was MUCH lower velocity. Once I found my shots and got a good consistent aiming point, the remaining 6 bullets went onto a nice round 2" group. All shooting was at 50 yards. No chrono this trip.

Good luck with your loads!!!

CW

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tim ,I slugged the bore and it measured at the chamber.488x.4995 and .4875x.500 at the crown. The bullet measured .502 major dia.. The LEE mold# is c501-440-rf. Is the (RF) in the code for rebated flat base? The base is rebated ,is this for a gas check? I did not think it was, but now I do not know for sure . ??? Thanks 26-t

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next? Where do I get a 500 gas check? I live about a half hour from Graf and Sons Reloading, I hope they have them or can get some. Gas checks are new to me whats it take to install them? Thank's for the help!! 26-t

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a set of LEE lube and size dies in .501 and 1000 Hornady gas checks today and that took care of the leading problem. I will shot for group size when the sun comes up in the AM. Thanks for the help Guy's. 26-t ;D

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. ;) dk17hmr for the link and advice. I have been seating to the 2 n'd groove like you have done with a good crimp. I loaded this batch w/33.5 g of Lil gun. I will touch some off after Church .Thanks 26-t

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is how it shot today. 2 shot groups at 50 yards .Not to bad ;D ;D Thank's for the help!!!! 26-t I hope some pic's show up if not I will get them up soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Good shooting it looks like the Nikon Prostaff is working well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts