Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to me I bought this mould a good while back with the idea of making some "Gluletts" to use in my basement range. While that didn't really pan out, I found the mould dropped some pretty nice looking WW bullets. I recently cast a bunch and loaded them up fairly mild for my 30-40.

I finally got to shoot some this week, using them to get my rifle "on paper" before final sighting in with a jacketed hunting load.

Even though it was shot at only 50 yards, I was very pleased to get a 3 shot group right at an inch with the load. The powder type and charge weight were arbitrary selections and now I'm wondering what I can do with this bullet in my Win 94 30-30! :-\

Oh well, that will have to wait until after deer season! ;D

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
is this the one:

Could be a real deer and hog buster. I went with the gas checked Lyman #311041 that casts from my alloy at 173 gr. and 0.309" dia. I have not accurized either microgroove Marlin 336 in 30-30 cal. with these bullets.

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup! Dat's dem! ;D Water quenched and sized to .309! It should make a good "woods walking" bullet for my 336 Texan! ;)

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
i have that mold too
form what i read....if you have microgroove rifling.....size 310 or 311

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Land_Owner said:
Does your alloy include tin? What mix? Any pics?
Ya know Rich, :-\ at some point I sat down with charts, specs, calculators, slide rules and an abacus to come up with a perfect mix using WW's as a base. I then alloyed all my WW ingots with 95/5 solder to achieve that mix. 8) I'll be darned if I remember what it is though... :-[ I'm sure I have it written down some where though! ;D I'll look. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
45-70.gov said:
i have that mold too
form what i read....if you have microgroove rifling.....size 310 or 311

Never thought about the microgroove rifling... :-\ I wonder if that apples using a GC? ???

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Richard...I have a 2.5-gal bucket that I fill with WW of both CO- and SO-kinds that weighs ~50# and 48# of pure lead to which I mix 2% tin. Melt that mix and mould into 3# ingots.

Then I "homoginize" the alloy, taking 1 ingot from batch 1, 1 ingot from batch 2, 1 ingot from batch 3, etc., placing thirty three (33) of said 3# ingots into the pot, melting, and pouring new "homoginized" 3# ingots. After that, everything is "the same".

What are it's exact percentages I roughly calculate from the Castboolit.gunloads.com forum free excel spreadsheet "CastingAlloy.xls". From 49-49-2 / Pb-WW-Sn, my alloy is in the vicinity of ~2% tin, ~1.5% Antimony, ~96% lead (rounding down) at BHN of air cooled (~11) and water dropped (~14)...not checked or affirmed by BHN test.

So, it's all a guess, sort of, anyway. It works is all that I know and well too!!!

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Land_Owner said:
So, it's all a guess, sort of, anyway. It works is all that I know and well too!!!

Very true Richard! I know I used a lot of info from Castboolets in coming up with my mixture. I don't know what the bullets' hardness was coming out of the mould, but after being water dropped I think their BHN number was 15 tested with a Lee tester.

I smelted all the WW's I had before Kathie and I moved to our retirement home and have accumulated another bucket since then. When I get time I'll melt everything I have together and, after reviewing my notes, add what I think is necessary to approximate what I ended up with before. That might darn near be a lifetime supply of alloy for me and like you said, I know it works! :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
The Lee 170 gr. RNFP is a great bullet in my Sav. pump 30-30,I also use it in my Sav.99 in 300 Sav. with equal results,a few of my friends use it in other 30 cal. rifles like there 06's and 308's. I size mine to .311 as my mold cast large and the rifles favor that to bullets sized to .309".

I wish the meplat was a tad larger like the RanchDog TL or RCBS version but it's a good hunting bullet non the less if cast from the proper alloy if that's all you have. I paln to upgrade to as RD mold with a couple different nose pin configurations hopefully around the first of the year but the Lee will always be a bullet I keep in the inventory.

For large game hunting bullets with expansion I like my alloy at a moderate hardness range say between 11 to13 BHN with a gas check bullet and there always air cooled. I can shoot these bullets up to around 1800 fps. with good accuracy and they expand just as well sometime better than factory 30-30 FN bullets and have deeper penetration even at the lower velocity. The Lyman Cast Bullet Manual #3 has good info an casting for hunting bullets and test done with both 30-30 an 06 factory loads vs cast in the same rifles,the results are interesting and can be easily duplicated.

As to the Marlins rifles with Microgroove rifling there a bit of a different animal with cast lead but not that much. You just need a bullet at least at WW hardness,bullets sized at least .310 to .311 and a gas check to help give the bullet grip on the shallow lands and grooves is always a plus and keep the velocity in the 1600 or less range.

For a 30-30 plinker small game load using the 170 or 150 gr. Lee bullet I like 7 grs. of Red Dot TL twice lightly and just leave the gas check off,they seem just as accurate at short range 50 yds. or less and velocity is low enough with WW quenched alloy to not need one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts