Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 40 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Curtis said:
You did good Ray. You were lucky if that sporter Arisaka was worth $100 even with dies. That Yugo is worth double that at least, probably more. Check to see if the trigger guard and base plate are BOTH stamped or if only one is and the other milled. Both stamped is actually an M48b even though it's marked M48a on the receiver. M48b is what mine is. I believe ALL M48b versions were manufactured for export. Also your buttstock plate should be steel instead of the pad but I can understand why someone would want some cushion.
Curtis
Curtis,

Receiver is shows M48A on top. Base is stamped and shows same SN as that on the receiver, bolt and the stock. Trigger guard has no markings and looks to be milled.

So what do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
If the trigger guard is milled and not stamped then it is indeed an M48a. Congrats!
Curtis

·
Registered
59 Posts
My last was a Mauser K98k Yugoslavian capture, reworked by shop VR69 (one of the better quality shops). She's a real beauty, shoots very good with Federal Vital Shock ammo.
I need to get an issue bayonet and issue leather sling.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Arctic Alaska

My last rifle was free, just had to sign the form at the pawn shop, seems a lady came in with deceased fathers guns and made a deal with gun shop/ pawn shop for the lot, in it was a sporterized 1891 Argentine mauser, ground crest, all matching SN#'s 'T-xxxx' = mfg 1900, the job was not the greatist bent bolt and removed rear sight,Williams ramp front & peep site, the shop owner wanted the embarrassing thing gone and Ask'd me if I wanted it, shure I said ;D
so have a 7.65 Argentine.
The last one I bought was a MAS49/56 (308) for $250, a month latter another $250 for the APXL 806 scope & mount mated to the rifle.
7.62x39 Carcano $180 (Mida Breska 1919)
Mosin P-27 for $10 sold as a barreld action (tomato stake class) add another $230 in parts to make it shoot.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Last Fall I purchased a "bubba-ed" 1917 Eddystone Enfield. The metal work hadn't been butchered--just the stock. Certainly didn't need it, but the seller finally asked if I'd want it for a "C" note. I'd looked at the bore and it looked great, so...

Turns out, the old rifle is a gem! I had to change out the front sight (shooting too high), but that was no big deal. It will put three of my 180 gr. Hornady Round Nose handloads into an honest 2" @ 100 yards with its battle sights. The two stage trigger is crisp and light. And the exceedingly broad butt makes it a gentle shooter even off the bench.

Couldn't help myself in November. I used it to fill one of my deer tags. Kinda nostalgic. My dad's deer rifle was a sporterized Enfield '06. The old war vet now rides in my truck along with a filled daypack as my "just in case" gun.

PC

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
All you guys are doing some awesome buys like the yugo m48's, the spanish cetme's, the $100 c note sporters, heck i'd buy them all day long for a c'note. The french 49/56 in 308, I have 4 of these two in 308 and two in 7,5mm french. I had to purchase two of each because once my son gets his hands on it at the range my little french commando rifles i never get to see them again till we load the car to leave. The Cetme in 308 is a tad heavy but mine is very accurate even with the 308 ball surplus ammo. I get 4" groups + with it.

Stay looking too i'm seeing the trade in's more and more now which means great affordable buys for us. I have my eye on a thompson 1927a1 tommy gun and i may grab it because its off the beaten track on my collecting. CZY

I still kick myself when i passed on a 303 britt sporter enfield that was only $75 and it actually looked good the way they cut it.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
On the Enfield, did he leave a little wood on top? That's how my Dad did mine, got my first rifle-killed deer with it. Wish I still had it but I went through a phase when I thought all I needed were expensive rifles.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
In the last 3 months I have acquired a sporterised argie , 1916 mexican 308 and a real nice turk mauser

·
Registered
79 Posts
Spanish Destroyer carbine, 9x23 Largo. It's a real fun gun for the kids, and me ;) .

·
Registered
291 Posts
Last C&R was a CZ82, and a sweet little shooter it is.

Wonder why there are no large spam cans of surplus ammo around for it, though.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
rdmallory said:
My last purchase was a H&R M1 Garand

Doug
A couple of year ago I bought two Springfields from a buddy of mine, but he wouldn't part with his H&R!
Curtis

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
rdmallory said:
K31 Swiss with the walnut stock in near perfect condition for $199.00
Where did you find it?

All I am seeing now have cracked stocks.

My last purchase was a H&R M1 Garand

Doug
Local pawn shop had several with walnut and beech stocks a couple years ago all were the same price, don't know where he got them though.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Got an Mosin M91/30 today at the gunshow. It's a 1938, very nice, 79 bucks. I'm jazzed. Pick up a can of ammo, too - this ought to keep me shooting a while.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I gotta start going to shows in out-of-the-way places. Nothing around here but documented 7th Cavalry Single Actions (don't even ask) or unbelievable POSs for maybe $3 - 350. Once in a while something might walk in, but the show guys have got the tables by the door and they're on it like a hawk on a sparrow.

21 - 40 of 198 Posts