Graybeard Outdoors banner

Let's Talk Turkeys

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dinny 
#1 ·
I live in SW OK but haven't been here for very long. I'm originally from IL where things are little different. I have been taking pictures of game over a feeder on a local farm (with permission). I wanted to hunt this area but now it turns out that I won't be home at all later this year. So here starts my questions. These turkeys don't look like the turkeys I have hunted in the Midwest. Are they a different breed? Also, I have never seen so many toms together before. Is this normal? Does it have something to do with the season/time of year? Last question pertains to the second picture. That's a hen, right? ;D I have literally hundreds of pics of toms and that's the only pic of a hen. ???

Thanks, Dinny

See less See more
#3 ·
Elip said:
Yes, SE Oklahoma has the Eastern turkey but Oklahoma also has the Rio and the Merriams.

Which are those pictured?

Thanks, Dinny

#5 ·
Dinny here in our part of the state you will only find Rio Grands It's very rare you find an Eastern west of I 35.
If you get a chance during the late winter months drive toward Duncan along the Beaver and Little Beaver creeks and check out the wheat fields.
You'll see flocks of hundreds of Rios ;)

Pat

#6 ·
Pat,
Thanks for the info. Those turkeys pictured are Rios, right? Something about them looks different than the Easterns we have back home in Indiana.

Thanks, Dinny

#7 ·
Yes sir they are Rios

Pat

#8 ·
Great! I look forward to harvesting one on/after the 6th. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.