Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to ask can a lever action marlin 35 cal. (older model) can it be rebored to a 38-55 cal.?
I load 33.5 IMR 3031 in my Buffalo Classic can this load be used in a marlin?

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Check overall lengths of the cartridges. If the 38-55 is longer, it's probably not going to lift up properly in the tube feed or eject properly. 8(

·
Registered
612 Posts
If you have a 35 Remington you've got more issues to deal with than just the barrel and lifter if you want to make it into a 38-55. One's a rimless cartridge (35 Rem) and the other is rimmed (38-55). This will require either a whole new bolt, or some fancy machining if changing the bolt is even possible. The 35 Remington is an excellent cartridge, with both jacketed bullets and cast. If you've got a really older model, pre-dating microgrooving, you've got a rifle that many consider very desireable.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Don't use a 35 for the change over, use a 30-30. The 38-55 is the 30-30 case blown out straight, the 35 has a bigger case body, you can't clean out the chamber for the 38-55. DP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.