Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several of the post in this section and seems there are some pretty smart fellows out there. What I was wondering is it possible to rechamber a lever action that shoots a straight wall pistol round up the the next size longer. 357 to 357 max. or 44mag to 445 super mag. maybe even 480 ruger to 475 lin. I know the extra length would cause feeding and extraction issues. Would such work cost so much as to make this impractical :?

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I would have to say an unequivical, 'maybe'. In most instances the cartridge stops could be lengthened to allow the longer round, but in some instances, notably the winchester m92 and it's clones, the limit may be built into the rifle. In actions such as the m94 winchester the 44 mag could be lengthened but you would be money ahead to simply buy a 444 marlin. In the 357/357 max conversion I would suggest the same with a caveat. The 357 max generates more pressure than the 357 mag. It may well be unsafe in some of the rifles so chambered.. So while it could be done sometimes, you would be wise to simply buy a different rifle already chambered in a caliber that covers the power level you are looking for.. good luck from the gunnut69

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feed back Gunnut. What I was looking for was a combination hard hitting hunting gun along with something I could take the the range or woods for fun plinking. I'm trying to make a selection on a lever action. Seems like the 450 marlin got a few bad reviews on this site. Wonder if it is just guys that really like the 45/70. That will most likely be my choice. At a gun shop here in Houston it is almost $200 cheaper than the 450.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.