Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I bought a rifle recently(223 ultra) and have sold everything but the receiver...

I'm looking for a new "project" to work on. I'm looking for a rifle that's light, compact and powerful( 243 cal and up). Synthetic stock is a must and if I can shorten the barrel to make it lighter, All the better!

I want a rifle that I can carry around all day while hiking/walking around the lake etc. What have you guys done? Pictures and info would be great! THANKS!

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
For shots on deer up to 150yds, I would recommend a customized .357 Maxi with a 16.5" barrel. You would have a blast shooting some of the lighter .38 loads too.

Dinny 5 more days......... ;)

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Dinny said:
For shots on deer up to 150yds, I would recommend a customized .357 Maxi with a 16.5" barrel. You would have a blast shooting some of the lighter .38 loads too.

Dinny 5 more days......... ;)
X2 on what Dinny said. With that setup you'd be all set from squirrels to black bears.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
The .357 would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Why not a std contour barrel cut to 20inches, or even 18inches ..... ??

in .243?

.260?

7mm-08?

.30-30?

or .308?

You didn't give many details on what you'd use your ltwt all-day-carry piece, nor the conditions or shooting you'd be doing. Heck, even saying what state you live in and kind of land you shoot on wpould go far to explain your "needs."

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have a similar project in the works. 357 mag, shortened to 16 1/2" with a synthetic stock. I'm really leaning toward fluting the barrel. The Handi's mostly have fairly thick barrel contours to allow the barrels to be interchangeable. That leaves some of the small and midsized bores in fat barrels. I figure fluting a shortened barrel may make a Handi more handier.

The weight of the barrels is kind of an issue. I never quite understood why the "Survivor" rifles have heavy barrels and no iron sights. A survival gun, with no iron sights? No backup for the glass? And the bull barrels, while nice and accurate,are a bit heavier than really needed. Bull barrels are great for shooting, not so great for carrying. The Survivor rifles would be in more canoes, backpacks and bush planes if they had a few more ounces shaved off here and there. My .308 is also screaming for a fluted barrel. Oh yeah, and backup sights.

Also working on modifying a folding stock (originally from a Mossy 500) to put on a Handi. I've been using the action from the 357 as my set up point. I don't know if I will ultimately go with a folder on a Handi, I'll see how it feels and points. I'm really leaning toward a $200 tax stamp for my contender to make it a short barreled rifle and use any barrel I have with the carbine stock. If (when) I do that there won't be much point to the folder on the Handi when I can put a Choate folder on the Contender for a reallly backpackable rifle.

There are quite a few places who will flute and refinish a barrel for you. Whatever round you decide to go with, a shortened and fluted barrel may make the end result light enough to be what you want.

As an aside, all the playing around with the plastic and the folders has yet to make any of them my favorite Handi. That honor still goes to my pallet wood .223 (or 20g slug barrel, depending what time of year it is). The Handis in wood just seem ..... more right.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Nice thought out post, jl. I completly agree with you on the iron sights. You can tell that decision was made by an office plankton.

When trying to go light, I have noticed that sometimes the wood is lighter than plastic. You just have to weigh them and see.

I've been giving thought to a 45 ACP/Auto Rim for a light weight Handi.

Cat

·
Registered
547 Posts
On a second thought ..you may want to be careful about which Caliber (cartridge) you chose if you are going to bob the barrel...maybe a caliber that doesn't loose alot of velocity with a shortened barrel..maybe a pistol cartridge or 30-30 ..i'm sure how much effect a shortened barrel would have on a 243 Win.
the 357 Max would be a good choice though..powerful round that shoots a larger dia. bullet...the 180 gr. XTP is a great bullet for this round..really hard to beat..

Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey Guys,
Thanks for all the info!! I currently have a 357 barrel that's been reamed to max. I LOVE THAT GUN! It's an awesome round. I was thinking about using the max barrel but I'm hesitant to cut it shorter. It HAS iron sights as of now which is a big plus in my book. I am "cheap" though and not sure if I want to pay $50 just to install a front sight once I cut the barrel.

I will give it some thought and see... does anyone have pics of a shortened 357 barrel? I did a search and found one that had been shortened to 17".

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's really counterproductive to chop the barrel on a high velocity cartridge. Not to mention all the muzzle blast. :p

I agree with the pistol caliber or 30-30 recommendations.

I have a 16" 8mm mauser carbine, and I only enjoy shooting it for the looks it gets at the range. Don't ever shoot it without earplugs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like Tim's 20" ultra lite 243 option - especially if shots can be 150-200 yards. If they're always under 100,
take your pick: 243, 357 mag/max, 30-30... or 44 mag too. However, the 243 ultra lite is ready to go, no
cutting, crowning. etc.

Let us know your final decision... and of course - PICTURES!! ;)

Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone!! I'm thinking about getting my 357 max cut to 16.5". I saw a buddy's handi chambered in S&W 500 and the fiber optic sights were awesome. Does anyone know of someone that will do a GOOD job cutting the barrel, crowning it and putting a sight set like that on for a reasonable price?

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
The .243 light weight barrel is probably the hardest barrel H&R makes to get to shoot well.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I agree with Dinny.. the 357MAXIMUM, hands down!!! If no, the 357Mag, 44mag, 500S&W or handloaded 45Colt. All would be efficent in a short barrel have plenty of power for the task at hand and with syn stocks be quite lite!!

Let us know what you do!! WITH PICS!!! ::)

CW

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
If your shots are going to be less than 150 yards then another good option is the 45 Colt especially if you handload. Mine was light and Handi right out of the box. The 20" barrel is plenty short on a Handi action. The only change I made was putting a front firesight on it which can be done at home easily.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts