Which Lightweight pump?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you say, preferably from experience, is either lighter and better chosen as a lightweight pump shotgun, or functionally better while still fitting that description?

I have experience with the standard Mossberg 500 and the not so light Mossberg 590. Thinking of replacing the 590 with a Rem 870 for heavy duty stuff, and wondering if I should keep a lightweight around.

The Win 1300 is listed as 6lb, 8oz for Defender models, and 7lb for long ribbed barrel models. I don't have any data on the Benelli Nova or Mossberg 500.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welp, just checked specs and the in 1300 is barely lighter than the Rem 870, half a pound at the most. So phooey on that if I'm looking for a weight savings. And it turns out my Moss 590 in factory condition is heavier than my friend's 870.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A light pump that should be included is the Ithaca Model 37. They even called it the "featherlite".

A good reliable gun. Been around since before 1937, at least the action was. Ithaca started making them when the patent ran out, from the original designer.

·
3,517 Posts
I think the choices are too limited. I'd take a Ithica, or an old Model 12 before I'd take a mossberg and I'd take a baseball bat before I'd take a 1300.

Nova is the best of the choices given although it looks funky.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Here's a vote for the Ithaca 37. I've had one in 12, 16, and 20 for many years and love'm. There isn't a "new" pump on the market that even temps me. I don't roam the VA mountains in search of grouse near as much as I used to ( these rusty ol' wheels just don't turn as well as they did ) but when I did I carried a 16ga M37 with 18 1/2" barrel with no choke or sight, corn cob forend, and a slimmed down English stock. It weighted in right at 5 lbs. The grouse didn't like it near as well as I did. GOOD SHOOTIN" Walt :)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Before some of you youngsters jump on me for being an old fashioned coot (its OK anyway...cause I am!!!), I should point out that my 12ga M37 has been fitted with a 24" Hastings Wad-Lock barrel w/ screw in chokes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
BattleRifleG3 said:
Never thought the Itchaca was a lightweight myself.
Try shooting 100 rounds of trap with a M37, and no recoil pad. You soon realise just how light it is...ouch! :eek:

I don't want to bother dragging mine out to weigh it, but I believe it is one of the lightest pumps produced. Anybody weigh a plain jane M37, without the bells and whistles, (ie. vented rib barrel, choke tubes, recoil pad, etc.)?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree the Ithaca is one mighty handy shotgun and since the have gone bankrupt and shutdown if you see one you better grab it.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
The mossberg model 535 with 3.5 " chamber and 28 " barrel only weighs 6.75 lbs. I just picked one up. It is quick and has already nailed 2 geese with 3 " steel modified choke.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I shot a 20 gauge Featherlite as a youngster and developed a healthy fear of what a 12 gauge would do to my physique if given the opportunity. Great firearm to carry all day though. Since that old 37 is like my mis-spent youth and the Ithaca Corp. (all long gone) I just tote my Win 1300 or Moss 500 of which the latter is not bad at all to carry being a 20 gauge. If the 1300 gets too heavy, solution is to take a break and enjoy the scenery in stationary mode for a spell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts