Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen pressure test data that shows LG as spiking a little before 100% load density, then dropping again. I have 300 Blk data with COL at 2.005" for a 130gr Sierra HP showing a starting load of 17 gr approx velocity 2090fps. I loaded up the same bullet a few hundredths longer and got a pierced primer at 1989 fps with 17.3 gr. I am using WSR prumers and not the data Rem 7 1/2 primer. Other primers were starting to flatten, but not all the way to the edge. Each charge weighed on a 5-0-5 before dumping it in the case. Would it be recommended to shorten my COL to book, pull the rest and start over double checking charges, or/and ... ?

I am thinking my COL is creating a spike with this powder, but do not know what the actual load density is currently. I don't have my notes with me, but believe I have COL set at 2.05". I can check when I get home later. Was just thinking about this because I was talking with another Blk shooter at work this morning that uses H110 for all his loads. He could offer no insight.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have had wild issues with LilGun in my BO also and some in my 221 FB unfortunately it often proves to be the most accurate powder I have used, A tip some one shared many years ago was to NOT load up to much in advance, I have stuck with that suggestion in my FB and have had no further issues the BO on the other hand I much prefer IMR4227 or H110

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would only have to pull 27, so not a huge deal. I may just do that, reload at the bottom with the shorter COL and see what happens. If someone with QL could give me an estimated load density, that may offer some insight too. Using converted LC brass.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do. I have been using it in my 357 Mag and 360DW and was hoping to keep it dedicated for that. I will stop by a shop on the way home and see if I can find another pound since I am down to my last bottle.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I won't buy another can of Lilgun. It burns hot and seems inconsistent on pressure when a few grains less than book maximum. Just loaded and shot a few rounds yesterday. My starting loads were over maximum pressure. Stopped shooting after sticking a case. All primers were cratered. Pulling all remaing rounds and switching to another powder. Maybe I have a hot batch.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is sort of what I am saying. I saw a posted pressure test with LilGun a while back. It showed normal pressure increase up to around 96% load density. Then it spiked abnormally high until 101% and dropped back into what you would think would be a normal curve. Max pressure (aside from the spike which went above max) was reached at around 106% (Caveat- this is representative of what I remember). I wish I could find it again.

·
Registered
819 Posts
try your LilGun in the 357, I have not as yet tried but intended to do so. there are listed loads for 158gr to 180gr I thought if it works then I could burn up the LilGun I have left except I have so much other loaded to get through first, I have no incentive

Reactions: CA Longhunter

·
Registered
I have a full safe, but Thompson Center fills the most slots.
54 Posts
I
try your LilGun in the 357, I have not as yet tried but intended to do so. there are listed loads for 158gr to 180gr I thought if it works then I could burn up the LilGun I have left except I have so much other loaded to get through first, I have no incentive
I have used LilGun for 180gr xtp in the .357, as well as several loads (85xtp,90jhp,100xtp) for the .32 H&R mag and I have been very pleased. No sticky cases, no signs of pressure, and good accuracy. They have all been maximum load with data from the Lee modern reloading manual 2nd edition.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
... No sticky cases, ...
Just remembered that tidbit. Extraction was easy, not sticky. Maybe a headspace issue? Could be allowing the case to slip back against the breech face and flattening the primers while the primer is also sliding out a tad and caused the pierced primer? The cases I am using were only sized by me enough to make sure the mouth and neck were good. I did not run them all the way in the die, maybe there were bumped back too much when formed by Top Brass?

On the other hand, 2192 fps is what Hodgdon is showing as their top velocity with this powder and bullet, so it may in fact be a density induced pressure spike.

·
Registered
I have a full safe, but Thompson Center fills the most slots.
54 Posts
Man, I'm not sure why you'd get a pierced primer. I'd double check your c.o.l. is correct for the bullet. I don't see why there would be any pressure issues with published data. Then I'd pull them all and weigh the charges and start over.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Is the Top Brass reformed 5.56 or 300? 5.56 may have a little less capacity. 2.085 is .080" longer than the Hornady data. I have no experience with Lil Gun or the .300. A quick search shows lots of negative comments on Lil Gun in the .300. I would make sure you have .300 brass and load to book COL. If pressure is still present. I'd probably switch powder.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brass is formed from 5.56 according to the packaging. I am going to pull them and work with H110. I have a little bit of IMR4227 left as well I may try if I can find more of it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have shot about 1K 357 Mag and Max loads with Lil'Gun and it has been consistently the most accurate and highest velocity. Only trouble was one day with temps around 104 both my 2400 and LG loads seemed to start flattening primers and I got nervous and stopped for the day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts