Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread on here about linux and which version to use and where to get it on a disk for easy installment, I have looked for it and can't find it can anyone give me that info? I have an old laptop that locks up all the yime I would like to try it on.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Try a search on linux operating system disc. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but check it out and see if it is.
Bobg

·
Registered
7,617 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
I am useing windows 7. If i install linuxmint will i have to reinstall my favorites list, buddy list and my printer. ???

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
magooch said:
So what's wrong with Windows 7?
Other than the fact that it's a virus magnet? ::)

·
24,482 Posts
bobg said:
I am useing windows 7. If i install linuxmint will i have to reinstall my favorites list, buddy list and my printer. ???

I had to but it wasn't that hard to do. My HP printer works fine on linux. But I don't know much about mint, mines an older version of Ubuntu that's been updated a lot. It works great so I just leave it alone.
I'm using Apple right now and it's a good OS but I like linux better.
You might talk to Scibear he's a lot more knowledgable than me on the IT side.
The biggest problems I've ran into were not caused by linux, it's been Firefox. I think Opera for Linux is a better browser but it doesn't have all the features that Firefox has.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
I keep getting a pop up that says windows is not genuine and it slows the computer done. I click on where it says get genuine now. It run all night and did nothing. Still get the pop up. Just thought there might be someting better than windows.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
Argent11 said:
bobg said:

I had to but it wasn't that hard to do. My HP printer works fine on linux. But I don't know much about mint, mines an older version of Ubuntu that's been updated a lot. It works great so I just leave it alone.
I'm using Apple right now and it's a good OS but I like linux better.
You might talk to Scibear he's a lot more knowledgable than me on the IT side.
The biggest problems I've ran into were not caused by linux, it's been Firefox. I think Opera for Linux is a better browser but it doesn't have all the features that Firefox has.

Firefox works great on Linux Distro's.At least most of them. There are some small OS that use a search engine just for that OS. A great entry level system that comes with most all you need to operate out of the box is Linux Lite. Zorin is another. You can try these operating systems along side your windows 7 to see if you like them, and then download if you do. I have one Laptop I use W 7, Ubuntu and Zorin installed on. When I want to surf without all the dang virus protection slowing me down, I use a Linux distro.

BTW....Linux Mint is a great Operating system as well. I installed it on several of my friends Pc's who really liked it.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
bobg said:
I keep getting a pop up that says windows is not genuine and it slows the computer done. I click on where it says get genuine now. It run all night and did nothing. Still get the pop up. Just thought there might be someting better than windows.

If you are running Windows 7 now, just google download Linux Lite, and download the ISO file.Save it to disk, and install the the Operating system. It is a real simple installation to perform. I would suggest you keep the w7, and install Linux Lite beside it. You can also buy Linux distro's from the developers for postage plus a buck or two to pay for the DVD. Usually around five bucks.

If you download a operating system, make sure you know if your PC is 32 or 64 bit., and download that OS.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to the linux web sight and ordered Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon - Install/Live DVD (32-bit). Hope that is what I need. Not to swift at computers!

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
cooter you think you are not to swift with computers. I'm not either. :( Did every thing i was told and still can't down load linus. :'( I give up.

·
24,482 Posts
bobg said:
cooter you think you are not to swift with computers. I'm not either. :( Did every thing i was told and still can't down load linus. :'( I give up.

Are you using a WiFi or a hot spot?

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
cooter74, that should be just fine. instructions should come with the dvd. if not give a shout

bobg, under normal conditions, you get the install files from a linux mirror site.. download and install that file
then burn that file to a dvd.. when you do that .. that file will become the linux os ..

if you cant make it go, i can give you a dvd with linux mint with install and grub files all ready to run
you just have to pm me

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
cooter74 said:
I went to the linux web sight and ordered Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon - Install/Live DVD (32-bit). Hope that is what I need. Not to swift at computers!

Should work! If your pc is a 64 bit it will still work
Are you hard wired to the www (ethernet) or wifi?

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
bobg said:

I would suggest you install it along side windows 7.Then you can copy and paste the favorites to the linux distro. As far as your online favorites, nothing will change. The printer will have to be installed from the software that came with the printer. I haven't seen a printer yet, that linux is not compatible with. I would suggest linux Zoren or Lite if you want to stay with a system that looks familiar to you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts