Graybeard Outdoors banner

Lite Reloading of Shotgun Shells using Pinto Beans?!?!?

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Robert 
#1 ·
Last night was was "rolling" some shotgun shells. And, as has been the case what with my shoulder and all, I was down loading them might low.
This was OK except that there was not enough volumne to have a proper crimp.
So, after loaded the wad, I dropped a pinto bean in and then followed it with the shot. By trail and error I learned what size bean to use to bring the shot column up to proper height to get a good crimp. If there was too much pinto bean I could hear it get crushed as I finished off the crimp.

Got 25 done; 5 each at 5 different powder amounts. Gone to try them out this week-end.

Figure I'll keep doing this downloading till the wad and pellets don't come out of the barrel :grin:

#2 ·
Lite Reloading of Shotgun Shells using Pint

I'll bet that if you filled those hulls right up with pinto beans the dogs and cats would stay out of your garbage, eh? :wink: :lol:

#3 ·

:bye: ROFLMAO!!!! :bye:

Thank you Cheyenne for a much needed chuckle! :)

It's been a bad day out there in net world, and I really needed an image of scattergunz 'n beans to bring me outta a bad funk! :)

#5 ·

Well, I've been accused of sounding like a shotgun after eating a bowl full of beens, but that is another story! :-D On a more serious note(if possible), I have heard of folks using popcorn as filler in their shotshells. You might try that, it may be easier to get the correct amount. :D

#6 ·

You guys are killin' me :-D

Anyone ever heard of using cardboard disk spacers made for this purpose? I have, but I don't use em either :)

Personally, I use torn off corners of paper napkins. I put it on TOP of the shot, not under it. You should try it - looks like your shootin' chickens - everytime it goes BOOM you get a nice shower of confetti that looks like chicken feathers ! Won't help your shoulder and won't help you hit the steel, but you sure will get style points :)

jimmy

#7 ·
Everybody is having a good time with this one, but...

On a serious note.....I tried replacing shot with rice a few years back, just to have for critter control around my chicken coop. I figured it would also be something the birds would eat. This was before I learned anything about re-loading, and I found out that didnt work. They just made a light 'pop' and barely came out of the barrel. The weight of the shot in the barrel creates resistance and without that weight it dont go BOOM. If you reduce the weight of the shot, I think you would need an appropriately faster powder, maybe a little bit of Bullseye. look in your re-loading book for the very lightest shot loads that you can find, otherwise you might just end up with a little 'popcorn fart'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.