Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but should be good for a laugh. My son and I are headed to our friend's shop this morning to try to cut the tenon and thread for a stub on the CNC lathe. This will be the first time for actually cutting on a barrel. The laugh part is I'm taking "The Creation" to test out the camera aiming system. This is a 22 rimfire benchrest rifle I built a few years ago and have put less than 100 rounds through it. My old eyes can't see the crosshairs on the 36 power scope well enough to bother shooting. My son came up with a solution. We mounted a camera on the rifle and I can aim the rifle by looking at the crosshairs on the monitor. The rifle is sitting on a one piece rest I also made and is adjusted by turning wheels for elevation and windage.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not dedicated gene, just like to build things. I've never shot a benchrest match and may never. Haven't had much luck getting everything to a proper range to sort it out. Didn't quite get the scope sighted in before employees showed up today. The camera system worked.

We got the barrel turned and threaded for a stub on the CNC lathe. I made some changes in a couple of things so my son decided to write a new program from scratch. Took him about an hour to do that and then 31 minutes for the machine to run the part. I learned a lot from that one. When we get the new tool holder the next ones should take less run time. The CNC lathe won't do any thing that a good machinist can't do on a manual lathe. The beauty of it is that once the program is dialed in any number of items can be made exactly alike and all you have to do is put the part in the chuck and press the right button. Not sure how that plays out with the Handi's wild tolerances :) :) :) I'm having fun though however it plays out.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Nice job on the 22! Interesting approach on the camera .Let us know how it works out please.
You are ever so correct on the large latitude of clearances on the Handi frames and barrels..If you are going to make mono blocks I suggest you make them oversize on the hinge pin and latch shelf so as to allow fitting to each frame. Also I think the barrels will have to be left long on the receiver end as to allow proper headspace adjusting.
Should be a nice project though and the CNC will make the job go a LOT faster than my old manual machines.
George

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.