Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several weight bullet molds 350 to 500 and was wondering what works in a replica Sharps. I am all set for my Ruger #3 and my Guide gun.

Many thanks

bigboar

·
Registered
12 Posts
For target using smokeless I go with H4198 at 24 gr. behind a 500-520gr .459 RNPB (WW). I also have used, for years, a very small amount of batting to hold the powder against powder as the case is so large and the powder appears to be sensitive to its positioning inside the case. I use a bout a 7/8 x 7/8 square which is approx 1/8th" thick. The batting burns up in the barrel. If you're not into batting try it without if just try and ensure you gently load the case so as not to move the powder around much inside the case. You can go through 50 bullets in an outing without much effort.

A friend who also shoots in our weekly silhouette matches is using a Pedersoli Sharps loads 12.5 gr of unique behind a 340gr. .458 RNPB (WW). I have never had any luck in any of my .45-70's using bullets under 500 gr. but this fellow rifles shoots very well out to 200 yds. 405gr bullets only worked in my Trapdoor officers model and it was more of a plinker than a real shooter.

You are going to need to find what really works in your own rifle. I'd say load to less than 1.5 MOA at 100 yds and you will have a nice shooting rifle out to 600 yds.

I've shoot BP out of my rifles and these loads almost mimic the bullets speed with smokeless.

Note: I have never had any luck with A5744 powder.

I shot and sold off a few but this is a short list.

H&R 1873 Trapdoor Officers Model
2 Marlin .45-70's both older with JM stamps and one being a guide gun (which never shot worth much for me)
An original 1859 built in 1862 Sharps Carbine which began life as a .50-70 percussion. In 1874 it was converted to a centerfire.
In 1877 it was converted to a .45-100 for market hunting. I've shot mostly BP in it but have also tried a few rounds of 530gr, .459 RNPB (WW) using 24 gr of H4198 with a wad and it shot a little over 1 MOA at 100 yds.
My Browning BPCR .45-70 loves the same powder charge using a Hoch .459, 515 gr RNPB although I do load BP from time to time.
I even have a Custom made High Wall in .40-65 that is loaded with the same charge behind a 410gr RNPB. It shoots as well as my Browning.

All of these rifles are shot with irons sights except for the Custom High Wall which uses a a Malcom 6X scope. My Browning came with an MVA Scope but I shot it with irons, also.

My hunting has slowed down but my last outing was with my Standard Marlin .45-70 using the Hornady Leverevolution which shoots a little under 1.5 MOA at 100 yds. IMHO the Marlin guide gun was all over the place....

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
500 gr bullet 25.0 grs AA5744. its what i shoot in my 1873 Springfield rifles and Rem rollingbock, all shoot this combination very accurately. i have three bullets. Lyman 457125, SAECO 881 and a NEI 515 gc mold.

i just remembered, i had a Pedersoli sharps and it also liked this bullet/powder combo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts