Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MK 85 with a conversion to shoot 209 primers, and I was wondering if anyone had any load suggestions for Hornady .430 240 gr XTP in a .50 cal sabot, and Triple 7 powder?
Whitetail Deer is the intended game.
Thank You for your help!

·
Registered
114 Posts
If it were me, I'd try 90 gr FF T7 and work up 5 grains at a time till I got the best group. don't go over 120 gr.. should find something to work below that.. Les

·
Registered
665 Posts
I shoot the same MK-85 with the 209 conversion. I can't believe anyone else is still shooting this old classic modern ML. :) Because this gun was designed and built when 100gr of BP was considered a maximum load, I would limit my testing to that level. However, I have used 100gr charges of 777 extensively, with bullets of all weights up to 348gr, and have experienced no ill effects.

Personally, I like the 270gr-295gr Powerbelts which are easy to load and give good accuracy in my rifle. The 270gr Plantinum bullets have an improved shape and a higher B/C if that does anything for you. They shoot at just over 1,700 ft/sec when fired over 100gr of 777. I've also used the tried & true Hornady XTP's which also shoot well but they are a pain in the neck to load and the B/C is terrible. They do, however, leave a NASTY hole in a whitetail. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
My MK-85 is one of the originals from the '80s, it has a maximum load of 125 grains (straight from the Owners Manual) Black Powder or Pyrodex for the .50 Caliber. The .36 caliber has a max of 90 grains, .45 caliber max is 100 grains, .54 caliber max is 125 grains. You should be able to shoot 100 grains of 777 in it if it is a .50 caliber without any problems.

My best loads are usually 90 grains of powder and a 240-250 grain saboted bullet.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks for the info re: 125gr of BP. Although I still have the original box, I couldn't locate the owners manual. I assume that my usual charge of 100gr of 777 would be about the reasonable maximum load of that powder.

Good shooting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts