Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAs anyone here done it? I'm shooting for low velocity, but can't find any data. Figure if I fill the case to 70% that's 16.5 gr and it leaves .2" under the bullet of air. Can I go less?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Loading 150 gr Collarbutton in 45-70 with Trail Boss? - loads tested

Out of a 32" barrled H&R Buffalo Classic:

16.5 gr gives a velocity of 1600 fps +/- 20.

10.1 gr gives a vleocity of 1195 fps +/- 5.

Might try lower loads some time, but the 10.1 produced a 50 yard offhand 3 shot group that was an upside down Mickey Mouse, the bottom two a little closer and it would be a cloverleaf. 1600 fps load shot more of a pattern than a group, didn't even bother trying to measure.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I do not have a collar button mold but I do shoot a lot of .457 round ball out of my 45-70s. They are quite accurate at up to 25 yards. Generally I carry a few of them with me when deer and elk hunting. I use them on small game like grouse, rabbit or squirrel that I might come across when big game hunting. I usually carry a single shot Sharps 1875 rifle when hunting so all I have to do is drop the breach block take out the full power load and slip in a RB load. My RB load shoots to POA at 25 yards while the full power load shoots POA at 135 yards with the same sight setting. I have had a lot of small game dinners when no big game was around. I generally load 8 gr of Unique and push a RB right down on top of the powder. I coat the RB in lee liquid alox before loading. By the way this is exactly how the army made gallery loads for practice except they used black powder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.