Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, a little background, my daughter is extremely small but wanted her own center fire rifle. She is 20 years old. She bought a handi rifle youth model in 243 it fits her perfectly. I would have prefered a 223 but with H&R shutting down one was not to be found in our area. I shot her rifle with standard loaded 85 grain 243 and wow quite a bit of recoil in such a small light rifle. I layed in a stock of nosler 55gr bullets and have on hand quite a few powders to try. I do not have any trailbosss. I want to try SR4759 but can't find any info using the light bullet. Anyone done this before? thanks in advance for any help, Mike.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Cuda,

The 55 and 58 gr. bullets don't have much recoil with full power loads. Try a 90% starting load with varget or pick one from the Nosler website and try that first. You may not need to experiment outside published data. Lyman says IMR 4350 starting load 45 gr. gives 3331 fps with 58 gr. and was most accurate load.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
A muzzle brake will help recoil quite a bit, but will give it a lot of muzzle blast to the sides. A good recoil pad will help some also, but if you can find a mercy recoil reducer, a mercy filled tube that fit in the hole under the but plate where the stock screw is, will help a good bit. They used to sell them to trap shooters, but haven`t seem them for a while.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
factory youth stock has a decent recoil pad, I do not want to add weight to this rifle just down load. Only plinking and informal target shooting for this one. I tried some of the 55 gr to a few min loads and they are a lot lighter just wanting to know if someone else has done this and found something that worked and was extra light on recoil.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will try H4895 as I have one pound just don't want to use it all up without finding more. I have about 12 pounds of SR4759 and I think it will work just looking for a safe starting point I'm going to email Hogdon but have not had good luck in the past with their comunications. Trail Boss would work but I am out and have not seen any for sale in two years. Also it is so low pressure in the rounds I have tried it soots the cases up pretty bad.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Older manuals (Speer??) had some cast data for 243 with 4759. I tried it with 55 and 58 grain Ballistic Tips getting around 2200 fps. I was more concerned about sticking a bullet than the recoil. Didn't notice any recoil after shooting the 30-06.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies and help guys. Bearcat do you have any published data on those SR4759 loads? I would like to find some. A muzzle brake may be in the future of this rifle but it would be a little costly because the front sight would also have to be relocated.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
cudatruck said:
. . . . . A muzzle brake may be in the future of this rifle . . . .

before you do that, i'd advise you and your daughter to find someone who
has a brake equipped rifle similar to what you want and get them to let you/her
shoot it.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
bearcat almost got it right. time to toughing up that little girl. this is a rough world we live in. time you teach her about the hard knocks in life. she will thank you later pusscakes. regards, richard

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok i figured i get some "the 243 doesn't recoil" and "just get tough" remarks and that's fine I expected it. But you guys should know she is a disabled person and one of the toughest I have ever met. If you knew her you would understand. Now back to the rifle, I looked for the .223 and would have prefered to get one but none were to be had in our area. With H&R shutting down sending her little rifle in for a barrel is not an option. I have a 223 barrel that does fit her frame but its a 22" standard very heavy. Her little 243 is 18 or 20" slim profile with open sights.If I could swap her barrel for a 223 youth compact and guarantee it would fit i would do it in a moment. But this is what we have and with carefull handloading I think I can make this work for her. Again thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
325 Posts
fatercat said:
bearcat almost got it right. time to toughing up that little girl. this is a rough world we live in. time you teach her about the hard knocks in life. she will thank you later pusscakes. regards, richard

Thanks, almost is what I was shooting for.

Nice post by way, very helpful......

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
What is the intended purpose of her shooting this rifle? To kill paper, coyotes, ground hogs, deer? I have experimented with Trail Boss quite a bit in the .243 and found that flat based bullets had much better accuracy than boat tail bullets.

Thanks, Dinny

1 - 20 of 28 Posts