Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to order all the stuff I need to start reloading and I have a few questions. I'm wondering what bullet I should use for my 44 Mag? I've shot some Federal/American Eagle factory loads with 240 JSP bullets and they shoot extremely well in my gun. Does anyone know if these bullets are .429 or .430 in diameter or the manufacturer of these bullets? I'v shot some Magtech factory ammo loaded with 240gr semi jacketed SP bullets and they are fairly accurate but they leave wicked copper streaks in my barrel. So I'm wondering if I should get .429 or .430 bullets and I'm also wondering if I should buy cast bullets or jacketed bullets? I'll be using these loads for target use only and I figure that cleaning lead out of a barrel is easier than cleaning out the copper streaks. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I recommend you look at the Sierra 240 gr. JHC, WW-296, and CCI 350 primers for full power loads. Consult your Sierra Loading Manual, as well as others. Various commercially cast 240 gr. bullets are available for moderate loads. I'd look at .429's first, followed by .430's if necessary. Slugging the bore would help, but a small quantity of bullets will also answer your question. Jacketed bullets will clean out the lead. Copper cleaning solvent will clean out the jacket fouling.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Here is what I did when I bought my new Model 29.

I tried small samples of various components to determine what provided reasonable accuracy and economics.

Then I settled on Remington 240 grain bullets, W-W large pistol primers. Starline brass and Alliant 2400 powder.

Then I purchased bulk quantity's of each, 10000 primers, 8 pound jug of 2400, 1000 pieces of brass and 2000 bullets.

The advantages are many. Like not running out of components quickly during an extended reloading or shooting session and saving money on bulk purchases. It is a nice feeling to have hundreds of loaded rounds ready to go. My buddies are sometimes amazed when I show up at the range with a 5 gallon bucket of ammo. Good luck on your choices.

Cheese

1 - 4 of 4 Posts