Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old model 1895 Mauser Bolt rifle in 7x57, and would like to load ammo for it. My book says that the listed loads are too much for the older guns, and I would appreciate any input from those of you that are loading for the same caliber, and Rifle. Thanks !

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I just checked a few of my reloading manuals. I'm guessing you have the Hornady 8th Edition reloading manual. It has the warning you mentioned, as does the Sierra Edition 5 manual.

In the Speer #10 reloading manual, it states that: "The Saami pressure limit for the 7 x 57 is 46000 cup. These loads are limited to 50000 cup for use in modern bolt action rifles only. The bottom load with each powder should be considered absolute maximum if the cartridges are to be fired in early military rifles like the Mauser Models 1892, '93, '95, Remington-Lee and Remington Rolling Block."

I underlined the section that relates to your rifle. If you let me know what weight bullet you are planning on using, I can give you the bottom load recommended for that bullet weight. Or you can probably look up the load on line at the Speer website. Additionally, I would recommend that you start with a load which is 10% less than the bottom load.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I just checked in an older Lyman Reloading Handbook 46th Edition, and it has some loads that were: "Tested in a Mauser 95 with Win. cases and 8 1/2-120 primers." Again, let me know what weight bullet you plan on using, and I'll look up the information for you (along with the source).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have an old 93 spanish that I have been shooting cast in. I coundent find any cases when I started so got a trim die from RCBS and made some cases from 06 cases. Still working on the old sights to get it going in the general direction that I have it pointed. ::)

Gun Runner

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OldSchoolRanger said:
I just checked in an older Lyman Reloading Handbook 46th Edition, and it has some loads that were: "Tested in a Mauser 95 with Win. cases and 8 1/2-120 primers." Again, let me know what weight bullet you plan on using, and I'll look up the information for you (along with the source).
Hi OSR, thanks for responding, and everyone else as well. I'll be using 120 grn. BTHP. I understand just what you mean about the sights Runner, I can almost make out the notch in the rear sight. :)

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Hubertus - The Speer #10 Reloading manual, doesn't have any loading info for the 120gr. bullets.

The Lyman Reloading Handbook 46th Edition, has the following info on loads that were: "Tested in a Mauser 95 with Win. cases and 8 1/2-120 primers."

For 120gr. Jacketed Spitzer:

Sugg. Starting Velocity Pressure Max. Load Velocity Pressure
Powder: Grains: fps: C.U.P. Grains fps C.U.P.

IMR - 3031 39.0 2717 --- 43.0 2958 ---

BL-C(2) 41.0 2688 --- 45.0 2958 ---

IMR - 4064 41.0 2770 --- 45.0 3048 ---

IMR - 4895 41.0 2824 --- 45.0 3067 ---

IMR - 4320 42.0 2816 --- 47.0 3067 ---

H - 380 43.0 2652 --- 48.0 2949 ---

IMR - 4350 45.0 2652 --- 50.0* 2932 ---

H - 4831 50.0 2666 --- 53.5* 2865 ---

Designates a compressed powder charge

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
The same data appears in Lyman 45, also in the Mauser 95. There is also a notation that "7 m/ms are imported rifles and their groove diameters can vary considerably. We recommend that you slug your barrel ..." I have also heard or read that older manuals can be quite optimistic - HOT LOADS! Nick Harvey's Practical Reloading Manual, First Edition, 1993, actually cuts some of the maximum loads, and Nick cranks some loads up to levels I would not dream of shooting in a few other calibers. I have worked with heavier bullets in a Mauser 98 chambered 7/57. It's not exactly what you are looking for, and I wasn't looking for top speed, but for what it's worth, I clocked:
154 gr Hornady Interlock, Vihtavuori N150, 38 grs - 2146 fps; 41 grs - 2430 fps
160 gr Speer Grand Slam, H4350, 40grs - 2175 fps; 44 grs - 2455 fps

·
24,003 Posts
is your 95 strong enough? Probably but the reason many will say no is that back then heat treating wasn't a science and there was differnces even in guns coming off the assembly line right next to each other. If it was mine id back off to about 2600 with a 140 or 2800 with a 120. That will kill any deer, black bear or pig in country and will go along ways toward making sure you still have your eyes when you get home. I think you might run into some accuracy challenges with the 120s though. Most of those old guns were twisted for 175s. I think if it were me id look at trying to push a 160 grain light jacketed (sierra/nos bt, horn sst) to around 2400fps and go hunting.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
if it was me, i would match the original ballistics for the military round, it was a 173 gr FMJ RN bullet at 2300 fps from the 29 inch barrel of the M-93 and M-95 rifles of the time, i would load a 175 gr SP bullet and what ever powder would get it to 2300 fps safely. I imagine the rifle sights are regulated for this military round. I used to load for a M-95 rifle and did just what i mentioned, it was a killer for sure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The rifle is for recreational shooting only, so performance is not a primary concern, just getting it to print where it points more or less. I will look at all of your suggestions, and the specs for the military cartridge too. Thank you all for responding, I'll be loading for it this weekend. Y'all take care now .

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Let us know how you make out. It will be interesting to see how the ole gal shoots.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took the Mauser to the range the other day, and it didn't disappoint . I used the minimum load to begin with, 48 gr. of 4831 just to be sure it was capable of safe use. Even with the light load, it printed 6" low @100yd. It felt like the load was too light, not much kick at all, and that much better performance was to be had with a bit of charge adjusting, and change to service bullet weight. A pleasure to shoot, next time out, I'll save a target to show.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Despite what many claim the 175 Grn RN bullet at around 2300 fps claimed the lives of many a big game animal and we are not talking Whitetail deer but larger, heavier, and tougher African antelope etc. The Boers of Blomfontein and Orange Free State proved this and just how effective it wwas against man as well.

The 175 grn RN should also shoot easier to the sights that a lighter pointed bullet. I ownen three original Mauser model 93's witht eh square bottom bolt face made for teh Boers by DWM. The carbine and OVS marked long rifle had to be sold to help replace the car after nice white van man wrote it off for me. The Sporting rifle or Plezier rifle I still own although it's in storage. All three shot well with suitable prepared cartidges. If I recall correctly I was using Brazilian TAP 7x57 cases in my loads. Would have to dig outt eh handloading fiel to find the rest of the details but I believe I was using a Vectan Powder back then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 1895 Chilean w. the original barrel cut to 26", a good 3# trigger and a 3x9 scope. With Hornady 139 flat base spire points, cci primers, and 38 grains of 4320, this 126 year old warrior shoots just over 1" groups at 100 yards, sandbagged off the bench and has done so for the last 50 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The bore slugged at .2845 & was pristine in 1969. I cut and crowned it to a fraction over 26", installed a Canjar trigger and a Len Brownell bolt, glass bedded the action in the original stock, and put a Williams rear and shorty front sight/ramp on it to start. In 1982 I had the action drilled and tapped for a Redfield Sr. scope base. I don't expect todays tech geniuses to put much credence in this post, but that really doesn't matter to me. I'm too old to care and I've done this for tio many years. Lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.