Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just trying to save some time in load testing for my handi

I cast two bullets in 45/70

Bullet #1 is a Ranch Dog GS 350 gr that I lapped to .461 for my marlin Guide Gun

Bullet #2 is a Lee PB 405 gr straight out of the mold at .458.

I'd like to stick with 4198 powder but open to any loads

I like to keep my hunting loads around 1400-1500 FPS

Anyone got one that your Handi likes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
coues2506 said:
30.0 grains of H4198 behind a 405. I do not use any lighter bullets because of the poor SD. You can find thousands of loads on the www if you search.
Thanks!
Yeah, there is no shortage of load data but I'm interested in loads that Handi users have had luck with. The things have a mind of their own...like most rifles. Marlins are a good example with their micro groove barrels. I've never gotten a cast bullet smaller than .460 to shoot well and .461 is better still.

I haven't shot this 45/70 enough to get a handle on it's personality yet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have had good luck with a few loads. One being 40-41 grains of Reloder 7 with a Lee 340 grain cast bullet (unsized). The recoil gets to be a bit much if you go over the 41 grains of powder. The Hornady 300 grain HP using the same powder charge works very well also. We have also had good accuracy with LeverEvolutions as well. This tends to make me think the gun is not picky, so I would stick with the powder and bullets you have. There are a lot of folks out there using the Lee bullet you have and 4198 with good results, so you probably already have a winner combination without investing any more cash.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Not in a Handi,but used to load 47 gr.IMR 4198 under a 350 gr JSP.Shot it in a 14"T/C Contender and a Marlin 336.Quite a thumper,but great shooting and killed several deer with it.Slow

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hello from Georgia,

I have found the load my rifle loves. A 350 gr. jacketed soft point loaded with a healthy load of Varget pushing around the 1800 fps. mark. This particular load is consistantly shooting some very small cloverleaf patterns (see prior post) and is not too bad on the recoil. It will however " whop ya upside tha head ifn ya aint hangin on. " I have finally found the go to load and look forward to years and years of truly enjoying such an accurate big bore gun. Have a great day.

Dave

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GeorgiaDave said:
Hello from Georgia,

I have found the load my rifle loves. A 350 gr. jacketed soft point loaded with a healthy load of Varget pushing around the 1800 fps. mark. This particular load is consistantly shooting some very small cloverleaf patterns (see prior post) and is not too bad on the recoil. It will however " whop ya upside tha head ifn ya aint hangin on. " I have finally found the go to load and look forward to years and years of truly enjoying such an accurate big bore gun. Have a great day.

Dave
Thanks Guys but I don't shoot those Jbullets in anything bigger than 25/06. Everything else gets cast.
I loaded a hundred cases today with 350 and 405 grain bullets and 4198 from 30 to 40 grains.

I also loaded a few with 12 grains of Trail Boss (Just because I love shooting it)

Now to see what it likes the best. At least my hands are soft. I used the beeswax/lithium grease/lanolin Lube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.