Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was astonished to find this little cannon at a local retailer's. It is being used as a doorstop. Portsmouth, NH

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Neat doorstop.

I do not know if it is a shootable . But if not, maybe a doorstop is a good job for it ;D

Did you ask if it was for sale. I see antique stores do thing kind of thing with other stuff, But it is still for sale.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Indigowolf...welcome to the Forum! So, that Mortar looks interesting....have you had a chance to see if it was for sale?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
That's quite an attractive doorstop.
Would make me take a gander through the owners store.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I tend to agree with the LaPan ID, I had one of these little grenade mortars years ago is was great at launching pool balls ..... 8)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mortar is at their back door... NOT FOR SALE I was told, likewise for the front door prop. I had thought it was a huge stein but when I was shown a closer view I recognized it immediately.

·
Registered
128 Posts
flagman1776 said:
I would have gone for the mortar! I have family near there & was going to ask them to check on it. :(
Its a Thundermug or saluting gun copied from St Remys book on Arty French mid !8th Century. i have one less than 3' from here also have the wood pattern i made and sent to Lapans foundry for casting. It stands 6" 1/2 tall with a bore of 7/8" Very loud and easy to transport.

·
Super Moderator
17,003 Posts
exlimey said:
Its a Thundermug or saluting gun copied from St Remys book on Arty French mid !8th Century. i have one less than 3' from here also have the wood pattern i made and sent to Lapans foundry for casting. It stands 6" 1/2 tall with a bore of 7/8" Very loud and easy to transport.
Do you by any chance have drawing and on dimensions of your pattern and thunder mug? Pictures and major dimensions would be nice to have in a separate post saved to the stickies as a project.

·
Super Moderator
17,003 Posts
flagman1776 said:
Do you also have the pattern forthe grenade launcher? If so, does it cast a hollow bore... not sure how one would hold it to ream?

I got a book earlier this year that some here recommended on how cannons were made. The book is in in Oklahoma right now and i am not. I seem to recall seeing a large machine where mortar tubes were set up and bored with a machine like a giant radial boring machine.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
flagman1776 said:
Do you also have the pattern forthe grenade launcher? If so, does it cast a hollow bore... not sure how one would hold it to ream?

Here is how I hold a mortar or cannon barrel to bore the barrel. An extension is added to the casting pattern. After the barrel is bored the extension is cut off.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Max,
After all these years you still come up with ways to amaze me. I have always admired your work and think you one of the finest craftsmen on this site.

That is really nice! Great idea.

Do you cast at your house or do you have use of a foundry.
Zulu

·
Super Moderator
17,003 Posts
exlimey said:
flagman1776 said:
I would have gone for the mortar! I have family near there & was going to ask them to check on it. :(
I just noticed Doc Brown has one about these dimensions listed in the classisifeds if anyone is looking.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried to pick the mug up up... It is somewhere around 80 lbs. That makes it somewhat portable I guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts