Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyone happen to have handis set up for long range target shooting or hunting ? If so what calibers modifications and what not did you do ?

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
What do you consider long range? I got a 204 Ruger that has consistantly shot Prairie dogs to 350 yrd others push that out even further. I did extensive load development, put a good scope on it, installed a Boyds target/ varmint forend and a heavy laminated butt stock, built a sturdy portable shooting bench added good shooting bags. I have a .223 ultra did all the same stuff as above farthest confired killed PD is 748 yrds and I thought that was a 1000yrds. I got a 22-250AI that is my coyote calling gun. I think would get to 500 easy but I have never tried that long in the field as the idea is to get the yotes in close with the calls. I think if I was still able to shoot I would take another look at the 25-06 I think ballistically close to the Creedmore. I do have a Savage 110 w/26" bull barrel Bell and Carlson tactical/varmint stock 6-18x40 Leopold straight up bench gun @ about 13#. Biggest thing trying to get to 1000 yards is the oportunity's and cooperation with the wind and the P Dogs. Long range for me w/game animals would be 100 yards and less mostly less. Kurt

Reactions: UPguy and shaner

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
A lot of people have set up Buffalo Classics for long range using ladder sights also. Really, nothing on the handi platform denies the capabilities of any round that can be used for long range. The one restriction is keeping pressures in loads where they are safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good morning,
Yes, I have used three for that. Two seriously, and one just for fun.
22-250 and a 243 Bull Barrel. Shooting friend has a 700 yard target on his property. Both can stay on a 16x18 inch plate; with exception of some flyers. But that's not the gun's fault.
My favorite is the 35 Whelen Barrel. It will do it too. We can actually here the hit from that one.
The smaller the bullet; the harder it is to see the hits; at least with the optics we have, But the 22-250 can be seen most of the time.
I load my own ammo. I weigh carefully because, for the first two mentioned, that's about all I do with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A lot of people have set up Buffalo Classics for long range using ladder sights also. Really, nothing on the handi platform denies the capabilities of any round that can be used for long range. The one restriction is keeping pressures in loads where they are safe.
Great points. I agree that these rifles will do what you have the skill to do.
My shooting partner chuckled when I bought my first Handi. Then we shot it. He then said, "Wow...Don't listen to me anymore..."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts