Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you guys might be interested in my latest project.

We have an area on my dad's land where we are able to shoot about 650 yards safely. So as my friend and I have an intrest in precision rifles, we thought we'd take advantage of the opprotunity and build some swining metal gongs to shoot. Using mostly salvage materials we constructed 4 hangng targets out of t-posts, disk blades, rubber animal mats, a few nuts and bolts and some spray paint. We have about 60 dollars total tied up in materials.

Why not just hang paper? The hanging metal acts as a bell essentially so you have immediate confimation of a hit at long range rather than having to continually travel the entire distance of the range twice to see if you hit the target.

The opening ceremony will be Sunday afternoon so were excited. We have targets set at 300, 400, 550 and 650 yards. I'm looking forward to honing my long range skills and hopefully start participating in a sniper cometition early next year.

·
Registered
42,140 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Those disc blades are bad about richocets, and won't last terribly long if you're whackin em with higpower stuff. But it's fun while it lasts.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I walk the railroad tracks and pick up discarded tie plates since I don't have old discs. With the tie plates I doubt you get the resonance you get from a disc but they have their advantages. Seems no mater how you hang them they tilt forward at the top a bit which helps deflect the slugs downward and they are heavy enough not much penetrates them so they last a long time.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The thicker and harder the steel the better the ring.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We used disk blades because they were free lol. I have about 10 more laid off to the side if they need replacing, and the location is remote enough and in enough of a valley that any ricochets will hit dirt pretty quick. I didn't even think about tie plates... That's a great idea.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Since they're free hanging it takes a serious piece of equipment to penetrate them. Be sure to hang them so the flat side faces you. The two alignment bars on the other side will send slug pieces where you wouldn't expect. Guess how I know. ::)

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How close were those targets you were shooting if you dont mind me asking? The closest one we have is 300 yards.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The closest is at 250. If penetration or bounce back is your concern, the combination of the free swinging attachment and the angle at which they hang seem to be the important factors. I assure you they are quite tough.

·
Registered
42,140 Posts
The one I use is about 9 in dia and hung from some bent rebar by welded chains. It sits accross the holler about 130 yds. We mostly use it for pistols. The plate is about 3/8 in thick. I tried my 3030 with some cast from ww bullets. 3 out of 4 punched all the way through with the 4th sticking out the other side. A lot of fun with 22s too. POWDERMAN. ;D ;D

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Funny how a mere 30-30 with lead bullets can penetrate a 3/8" steel plate at over 100 yds yet many people won't use it on a deer at that range!

LONGTOM

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll post some pics of the targets after we've worked them over for you guys.

A 30/30 shouldn't be considered a lightwieght. It's the most used caliber for harvesting deer by far. I've always laughed at the guys that claim that they're a 100 yard gun as well. A person with a quality rifle who has the practice and confidence in his skills can easily harvest an animal at 2 or 3 times that distance with one. One thing I have learned with building my precision rifle is that the guys who claim they need more power are often the poorest shots. They use excessive firepower to havest a deer at close range to compensate for their lack of marksmanship. Yes, a 300 win mag will take a deer a loooong ways away... if your a marksman. Otherwise it just makes a big splat.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
I made myself an armor plate 8" disk for shooting 22 pistol at 100 yards. Seemed like a great idea until I started shooting and realized that the 22 isn't powerful enough to move the plate much and my ear protection keeps me from hearing the slight 'tink' sound when I score a hit.

Have you tried this and found a good workable target that reacts to 22 and has enough size for iron sight pistol shooting at 100 yards?

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Singleshotsam said:
Yes, a 300 win mag will take a deer a loooong ways away... if your a marksman. Otherwise it just makes a big splat.
And the real scary thing is they'll take a human down along way also by the same poor shooter.

·
Registered
42,140 Posts
SSS. I'm glad I never got bit by the magnumitis. The term mangum sells, no matter the cal or ga, so do hi brass shells. To hear some folks talk I'm amazed that our ancestors were ever able to feed or protect themselves without these magnums. Seems like the poorer the shot the bigger the gun. POWDERMAN. ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
I was surprised to experience that my rifle, which happens to be a 375H-ity-H, recoils less that the 300 magnums I've shot. I don't consider myself an Elmer Keith disciple, but I just like this particular rifle because it feels great and shoots great. I'd like it just as well if it were a 30-06, I suppose.

The thing about the magnums is that you still need to be able to shoot well to use them. Like trajectory and windage beyod 300 yards is still very significant to good shooting. I've talked to a few 300 mag owners and some are truly knowledgeable of the round and prefer it because they have learned to use it well and it is effective. Others just seem to take for granted that you can shoot out to 500 yards without knowing much about wind or trajectory.

Some magnums I like are:
1) 44 magnum in a revolver, and would probably like it in a carbine too.
2) 22 magnum. Nice round. Kind of expensive to shoot, but if you just hunt with it, it's not bad at all. It would be my choice if I did a lot of fur trapping or fur hunting.
3) 375H-ity-H. Very versatile in a rifle. Kind of heavy, but overall a very good combination when you consider the rifles and bullets that are available for it. That's the only thing I use for big game. I definitely would want something lighter if I hunted a lot in the mountains or did a great deal of walking while hunting.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had one tie plate on my set up @ 200 yards and hit the holes in the plate regularly. you could tell by the way the bullets impacted the dirt behind the plate. No, I am not that good it just happens more than you would expect shooting open sight milsurp rifles. Never had ricochet problems with any free swinging plate. Did have problems shooting holes in the plates though with full metal jacket bullets but most plates were 3/8 mild steel.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Reactive targets are the best, in my opinion. Keeps new shooters more interested than just watching holes on paper.
Try the good old 22lr at that distance. That is a real hoot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.