Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded for an older H&R stock set. I opened the forarm channel up to accept the barrel and now the barrel fits flush, but the screw is not long enough to tighten up. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
John B.

·
Super Moderator
51,435 Posts
Pick up a new ¼x20 flat head screw at your local Ace or True Value hardware store...ya might have to paint it black if you don't want a socket head screw. :wink: If you have to cut a longer screw down, run a nut on the screw first, then cut to length, file it smooth, run the nut off it to clean up the thread. The nut also helps hold the screw in the vise.

Tim

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'm using a 1/4" X 20 X 3/4" right now and I think I'm going to try a 1" instead. As much float as I have on my barrel, the screw is trying to pull through the forearm (wood or synthetic).

A little cold blue does pretty nicely on the slotted screws, but it isn't real durable like hot blue is.

Marv, are you sure that isn't a 1/4" X 28? That's the normal thread pitch for 1/4" fine threads.

·
Super Moderator
51,435 Posts
Paul, now don't be confusing me :grin: , I never mentioned the 24 pitch thread, that's Marv's contribution, the standard NEF/H&R forend screw is a ¼"x20x½" screw commonly available at Ace or True Value hardware stores, although most likely it will be slotted or socket head and the socket head being available in a black oxide finish.

US thread = 20 or coarse pitch and SAE thread = 28 or fine pitch in modern usage for a ¼" bolt.

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.