Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was speach less... but the more I looked at it the more "OK" it became. I mean its a 100$ firearm and this made it better for its owner...why not?

Am I loosing it?

Is it profino??

CW

·
Registered
389 Posts
First off, owner decides what is ok,however......necessity may be the mother of invention, but ignorance is quite often the father.....appears to be an unnecessary mod to avoid the cost of a scope bracket mounted in the conventional, normal position.....to each his own, but to me it is an abortion......

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
olddaddy said:
..to each his own, but to me it is an abortion......
^ ^ ^ this is being nice about it ^ ^ ^

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
olddaddy said:
First off, owner decides what is ok,however......necessity may be the mother of invention, but ignorance is quite often the father.....appears to be an unnecessary mod to avoid the cost of a scope bracket mounted in the conventional, normal position.....to each his own, but to me it is an abortion......
It's probably a shotgun barrel and not enough there to tap. I would have silver soldered a steel scope base instead, but the last owner might not have had the skill.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I was considering a similar modification to mine when I was going to get a .357 insert instead of making a whole new barrel. Would've done it a little nicer, though..

That doesn't look like a shotgun barrel, though. Chamber's too much fatter than the rest.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Looks like a .410 to me.

Would this be an attempt at a scout type mount?

Maybe an attempt at a Holo sight configuration using a pistol red dot scope?

If it is indeed a .410, plenty of steel to tap. Maybe they were too cheap to have it drilled and tapped?

What ever the reason or intent, they must not have liked it either or it wouldn't be for sale.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was a 20ga and the muzzle was grey and sooty... it was shot ALLOT!

Only 12 ga is said to be too thin to tap. I have done it for peep sites and never had a issue but they are minuscule in weight. A scope might well pull off under recoil. This 20 has plenty of "meat" for a regular Drill & tap.
Guy probably either did not have the $$ or did not feel the firearm was worthy. Looks like it worked, as I said the muzzle was VERY dirty with powder residue. So it was shot allot!!

CW

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
He obviously had access to a drill press. Plenty of holes drilled there, way more than necessary to just drill and tap the barrel for scope mounts. And he obviously had access to taps. The top piece is tapped for the red dot mount and at least the top holes on the barrel mount have been tapped. His gun, his choice but you have to wonder what he was thinking.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WLB said:
He obviously had access to a drill press. Plenty of holes drilled there, way more than necessary to just drill and tap the barrel for scope mounts. And he obviously had access to taps. The top piece is tapped for the red dot mount and at least the top holes on the barrel mount have been tapped. His gun, his choice but you have to wonder what he was thinking.

Naw, not necessarily. You can buy those mounts now. made just like that. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Rifle-Barrel-Clamp-Accessory-Weaver/dp/B006H0QD7G

CW

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I don't know if it's Profino or not. But I never cared much for scout scopes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.