Graybeard Outdoors banner

Looking at feathers...

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  scout4 
#1 ·
Im looking for some shield cut barred feathers 4 or 5"... I was certain I had some...can't seem to find them... CRS I guess ;) All I can find are parabolics and vanes....

Does anyone know if Cabelas carries them?

I have 8 arrows to repair and want shield cut instead of parabolic...

CW

#2 ·
NO ONE???

Tonight I lightly sanded the shafts and gave them two coats of cherry stain. Tomorrow I will start with the poly...

I was looking thru the catalogue and see that they indeed should have the feathers I need.. Also a flyer arrived today form them... OH BOY.. better leave momma with the check book!! LOL
Saturday I'll be there!!

CW

#4 ·
Three Rivers Archery... I'll look them up if I cannot get what I need in person...

I completly forgot a couple archery dealers in my state! I am going tup to Cabela's tonight and if they dont have what I need I'll het one of the other places as its close by.

I have stained the shafts, two coats of cherry stain and then three coats of poly "steel whooled" so it just filling the low spots. No shine. So far they look great, maybe too good to shoot...that's OK too as I origionally built these arrows as part of a dozen back in or about 1979.
Today I taped them off and applied my base coat for the cresting. Antique white with red stripes when I'm done.

I'm also in search mode for my Bitzenburger jigs.... I can "see" them in my mind but cannot put my hands on them...

CW

#6 ·
Duplicate post... DAMN I.E....

#7 ·
Thanks for the tip PC!! I'll check now!

I got the base coat done and it looks great! Now for the new nocks.... I have traditional nocks somewhere... Rather not replace the BJ's with BJ's.... I still cannot find my jigs either...GRR BUT my loading romm hasnt been this neat and tidy in years!! :eek: ::) ;)

CW

#8 ·
Real nice looking job you did cwlongshot. Are they cedar? Whats the spine? They ought to be a set of dandy lookin arrows by the time you got them done! What bow are you shooting?...If I have this right, I believe that bearpaw archery has a brand new fixed base fletching jig thats suppose to be the best you can get. You can try www.bearpawarchery.com but not certain if thats correct? Again you can try 3rivers, they should have a jig. scout4<><

#9 ·
scout4 said:
Real nice looking job you did cwlongshot. Are they cedar? Whats the spine? They ought to be a set of dandy looking arrows by the time you got them done! What bow are you shooting?...If I have this right, I believe that bearpaw archery has a brand new fixed base fletching jig that's suppose to be the best you can get. You can try www.bearpawarchery.com but not certain if that's correct? Again you can try 3rivers, they should have a jig. scout4<><
They are Port Oxford Cedar, IIRC 50-60# spined. (Our bows where all 50-55#)
In the day, they where BEAR Kodiak and Grizzlys. Remember these arrows are 30+ years old. ;) They are tipped with bear razors but think I''l remove them for field tips..

Now I am shooting a Damon Howatt, Momba 45# and a Bear, Grizzly 50#. (Also have a 50# Ben Perarson but don't shoot it much.)

I have never seen the bearPaw... Going up to Cabelas in about an hour... we will see what they have.

CW

#11 ·
Cabelas was a bust... They had the feathers, but they are not real, they where dies and no shield cuts....

I hit a local to the store archery shop and they did not have a single LW feather....

I went online to Bowhunters Warehouse...guess they are no more too!! Cabelas owns them!!

So I got what I needed off EBay...

CW

#13 ·
#16 ·
No scout, I did not find my jigs... :mad:

BUT My good friend lend me his AND I picked up one on EBay for 35$...... ;)
;D
Gotta wait for the feathers and nocks any how so it all good...

PC, Yea looks like they bought them out and even own the rights to the website as if you click on it you get cabela's... I like Cabelas and all, but they dont hold a candle to bow-hunters back in the day... While I was there, I was standing next to a rep explaining the hows and whys of bows and hunting to a customer... About 15 minutes later that same guy was following my pop and I around asking the same questions. I answered as he asked. he then asked for the "best Bow"... I suggested he talk to the store personnel, he said he did and liked the way I answered his questions better. ;) I am not mentioning this to pat myself on the back, altho I have taught and shot/ hunted archery for many years. I mention it to better prove that the staff in many of these places isn't all that knowledgeable... I never got that impression when dealing with the staff at Bow-hunters.

CW

#17 ·
Chapter two....

I borrowed my buddies jig and received the one I bought on eBay yesterday.

I'm having one **** of a time setting up the one from my buddie!!! It's brand new in the box. And no matter what I do it leaves the center of the feather hanging in mid air!! The used one is set the same and produces perfectly fletched arrows.

I'll look into it closer and try switching clamps and adjusting more over the weekend.

CW

#18 ·
Once set in the clamp , run your thumbnail along the edge of the clamp and the base of the quill. This will pull the fletch away from the clamp and you will be able "flatten" that quill base on the shaft if the clamp is properly adjusted. Some fletchings have much more curve in the quill base. Also if the bases are not ground flat and even they won't hold well on the glue line. When building arrows for customers I sometimes have to flatten the base with a sanding block I made just for that reason.

#19 ·
CW,

The last I looked Cabelas had Shield Cut feathers.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/ensemble.jsp?ensembleId=4143&WT.z_mc_id1=43000000110750423&WT.srch=1&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=google|arc_Arrows+Shafts_Fletchings%2C+Jigs+Nocks|USA&rid=20&pcrid=8895075897

Unfortunately, they only had left wing feathers. I usually use right wings.

cwlongshot said:
Chapter two....

I borrowed my buddies jig and received the one I bought on eBay yesterday.

I'm having one **** of a time setting up the one from my buddie!!! It's brand new in the box. And no matter what I do it leaves the center of the feather hanging in mid air!! The used one is set the same and produces perfectly fletched arrows.

I'll look into it closer and try switching clamps and adjusting more over the weekend.

CW
What type jig are you using? I always found the Bitzenburgers to be the best, if that's what you got for $35 on ebay, you got a bargain, most of the Bitz's that I saw on ebay sell for around $50 - $55 + S/H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.