Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be hunting a friends sons eight thousand acre deer lease the week of November 7th for the muzzle loader season. I am primarily a PA / Maine deer hunter, and have never hunted deer so far south. So, I have a couple questions for you Tenn. boys... When does the rut kick in in Eastern Tenn.? What kind of weather can I expect? Any other helpful hints or info would be appreciated. One of the lease members in the area I am going to hunt arrowed the possible #2 all time non-typical whitetail a couple weeks ago, so I am really looking forward to this hunt.

Thanks

Larry

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
A lot depends on where in the state this is, mostly elevation related. Closer to or further in the mountains you are then the colder it's likely to be. The weather is as variable year to year as the terrain! So far this year it's been pretty much "average". By the time you're hunting I'd look for the temps to be down to freezing or thereabouts at night with highs in the daytime around 50-60. Closer to Thanksgiving you can drop that 10 degrees. The main rut here runs in the time frame of Nov.10-18th. Last year the most activity was centered around the 15th so to speak. There's usually a "minor" one a month after. As large as the place you're talking about sounds, the biggest thing you have to be concerned on is the terrain itself! If it's in the mountains then the thermals and other factors will how shall I put it.... make the hunt interesting.

Ron

·
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Ron. From what I can tell on the map, the area is pretty much the entire side of a mountain. They have quite a few feeding stations and blinds set up, and travel around on 4-wheelers. Quite a bit different from the deep woods, still hunting on foot I am used to doing. I was shocked at the large number of deer that can be taken in Tenn. I guess a lot of the guys shoot more than they need, and donate the extra to charities in the area. I already took a fat doe during PA's archery season, so I am going to hold out for a decent buck on this hunt.

Larry

·
Registered
606 Posts
:) Howdy! You might also check the state wildlife department website and see if they have information on the peak of the rut. It will probably depend on the part of the state you will be hunting. Good luck!
Always, Gene

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.