Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rossi single shot in .357 mag that I am looking to get a scope for. I don't plan on doing anything specific, just all around shooting & plinking, maybe some hog hunting. I don't want to spend much over $100.00 for a scope. I know that the Burris, leupold, mueller type scopes are out of my price range. The following is a list of possibilities, if anyone has or has used or seen any of the following I would appreciate feed back. Thanks in advance.

1) Guide gear 3-12X56 w/illuminated etched reticle-$79.97
2) Guide gear 3-12X50 w/illuminated duplex reticle & sunshade-$59.97
3)Bushnell Banner Dusk&Dawn 3-9X40-$69.80
4)Bushnell trophy 3-9X40-$85.49
5)BSA deerhunter 3-9X40 illuminated reticle-$68.11
6)BSA sweet 17 3-12X40-$99.97
7)Swift 656 3-9X40-$111.20
8)Ncstar 6-24X50 illuminated crosshair red-dot-$99.99

I'm not sure what to go with, they all look pretty good for the price but I just don't know!! I need help!!! :? :? :? :?

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
The Bushnell Trophy would be my pick out of all of those that you mentioned. Out of all the Bushnells, I own several Elite 4200s and 3200s, but the Trophy is the lowest line that I would recommend.

Zachary[/color]

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would also suggest trying to locate a used scope. Someone out there has a old scope that is looking for a home in your price range. Those other scopes MAY not last forever, but a used Leupold will.

pepaw

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
I have several Bushnell Banners , very good scopes for the money. Best there is under a $100 I think. Also have Bushnell Elite 3200 3X9 and 2 Nikon Buckmasters. all great $200 scopes.

·
1,876 Posts
Of the ones listed I would go with the Bushnell trophy for sure...I have two of them. Both are mounted on slug guns so I know they can take a pounding without losing their zero. Another option is to check out E-Bay and see if you can find a cheaper price on a used Leupold that is more in your price range. Deals are out there to be had if you just look and do a little research. Plus Leupold has a lifetime warranty no matter if you are the original owner of the 10th.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Out of the selection you listed, I would use the Bushnell trophy 3-9X40

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bushnell Trophy, I have had a 3 x 9 Trophy for more than six years, its clear & bright. The tracking appears positive, I consider this scope an excellent value.

Rod. :wink:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info guys! I found a Nikon prostaff 3-9X40 for $112.00. is this a pretty good deal?
Tbull

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,
I decided to go with the Nikon prostaff, it came to 122.00 with shipping. Thanks for all of the input!
Tbull :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
WHY???

I cant understand why you want to put such large scopes on a 357 mag rifle. That rifle is best at 125yds and under. Why take a slim lite weight little short distance rifle and put a scope on the thing that will ruin the handleing qualities of the gun. I would go with a compact fixed 4 power or a red dot sight like the bushenell trophy with multiple color reticles.
Kelly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts