Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of picking up another rifle to be used mostly for deer. Not that I really need one (according to my wife). My main rifles are a Sako 30-06 with a 3X9 Leopold scope for moose and deer and a Remington Mohawk 308 with a 4X Leopold scope for deer. Being that I'm not that big, the Remington is a great carry rifle. The thing is my dad was a Finlander and always talked about the 6.5X55 being a great rifle. I've started looking for a Swedish mauser in that calibre as a cheap project rifle, but last week I came across a Remington 600 in 6 mm. It seems a little light for larger deer to me. What are your thoughts? Are the Swedish mausers accurate enough by modern standards without handloading? .

Also I should mention that Tikka has a new carbine out. A 20 inch barrel carbine with fibre optic open sights. I think it's called the Batu lite. I was looking at one the other day and it felt like a great bush gun.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
6mm is a good round for deer. Wish I could find a Remington 600 in 6mm or 308. Had one once and sold it like a dummy :roll:

·
Registered
999 Posts
koivu,

First things first,here. Just how big of a deer are ya talking about? Some of the northern deer get pretty big. Down south,where I'm from,a 200 pound deer is a whopper! If you live and hunt up in the big deer states, you might want to rethink the 6mm. Also let me say this,I own a 243 and woldn't get rid of it for nothing. There are a lot of rifles out there that are small in stature but can pack a punch also. The other thing about the 6mm REM is ammo availabilty.Check closely on this because unlike 243 Win, You generally can't find this ammo at your local Wallyworld. Just some thoughts to some of your questions.

HWD

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
At this moment Remington is offering a Guide Gun in 6.5 Mag. It has a 22 inch Barrel. While they are near impossible to find factory loads for and finding reloadable brass is kind of hard, the newest edition of the 6.5 mag from Remington may have a future in it as a collectible. The older Model 600 and Model 660 are the next closest thing to the new Guide Gun.

They are a little pricey, but nothing is going down.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have a .243 I bought a few months ago and I like it. Being that its faily new I havn't used it for deer. With proper shot placement it will work good I am sure. You may also want to consider 7-08 or 25-06 . Just a thought.

Norse

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have a .243 and really like it. I'm not a bit under gunned. IMHO you'd be happier with a new rifle. Winchesters, Rugers, and Tikkas are available in 6.5x55. The Winchester is the feather weight version and is a great looking rifle. If you go to Gunbriker's site you can bid on rifles chambered for 6.5x55. They had a custom Swede mauser the last time I checked.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Greetings!

Last year, I was looking for something in the 6mm-6.5mm range, and ended up buying a .243 Win. Ruger M77 All-Weather. Haven't regretted it a bit since - one of the finest rifles I've ever owned. I've done a lot of reading on these forums, and the .243 Win. seems to have all the power needed to hunt deer, provided the shooter aims properly... if you hit the deer in the wrong place with even a .300 Win. Magnum he'll get away. An old friend of mine has hunted deer every year since 1980 with a .243 Win., and he always brings home the meat... I don't feel "undergunned" at all with mine, although I haven't yet hunted deer with it... I'm sure it will do just fine.

Best wishes,
Bawko

·
Registered
241 Posts
Grubbs said:
I'm a little partial to the 7-08 for deer......any deer anywhere.
Ditto!!!

firstshot
---------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Most of the '96 Mausers were fine shootin' rifles, unfortunately the one I had would only hold 4" groups. I tried rebeddin' restockin' and shortenin' the barrel. Nothin' changed them 4" round groups. Accordin' to the disc, it was an arsenal rebuild. I gave it to my oldest grandson, when I was mad at him. He'll never know it's no good. :-D
I did have a model 94 that was a tack driver. You might be able to find a compact Ruger 77 in .260 Remington which amounts to the same thing. :wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
you can also get a 6.5x55 from CZ (CZ 550 American) - more Mauser like than anything else. Very nice and cheaper than the others to boot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I live in Western Wisconsin,our deer are the size of elk. :roll: I use a
Remington 1917 in 30-06.With that rifle nothing gets past it. 8)

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you can get a 6.5x55 in decent shape for a fair price grab it. I bought a Husqvarna from Sarco's in NJ(adds in Shotgun News). It was made in 1939 is in good shape has a very nice mauser action, lite in weight does not wack you and shoots very accurately with 140gr. reloads. Remington made some 700's a while back and a friend of mine picked up a used one. It too shoots well. I don't have a CZ in that calber but I own a .270 CZ and it is a great rifle for the money and has a trigger that is easy to adjust. If you get a 6.5 with a Mauser action, replacement triggers are out there at good prices or you could re-work the stock trigger fairly easily. I got mine down to about 2.5 pounds with a nice break.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got bit by the same bug. I picked up a Swedish Mauser and started playing. It will turn out 3/4" groups with handloads on a regular basis. The barrel is the standard military issue but I've cut it back to 20" and re-crowned it. I've only shot one deer with it but it did the job without any problems.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Unecessary Deer Rifles

I have a Remy 700 Mountain Rifle in 280 Remington which is my main carry rifle for deer and pig. I took into the field for the first time last Friday and dropped a 170 pound pig with it. Great rifle. I also have a Savage 25-06 that is also a great deer round.

·
Registered
563 Posts
SWEDISH MAUSERS ARE A BAD HABIT! I HAVE THREE, ONE SPORTER WITH SCOPE, ONE SET UP WITH A SCOUT SCOPE, AND ONE MINTY ORIGINAL MILITARY, MODEL 96. THEY ALL SHOOT GREAT! THE SPORTER WILL SHOOT HALF INCH GROUPS WITH RELOADS, AND ONE INCH GROUPS WITH FEDERAL 140GR AMMO. I USE TIMNEY TRIGGERS IN THE TWO SPORTERS. SET AROUND THREE LBS.
THE SPORTER WAS BOUGHT FROM CENTURY INTERNATIONAL ARMS. FOR $180. AFTER THE TRIGGER, AND DIFFRENT SCOPE MOUNTS.
IF YOU CAN FIND A CLEAN SWEDE, GRAB IT!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts