Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need help and admitting it is half the battle

I want/need another 1911 .45

I currently carry/shoot a Kimber Ultra CPD II 3" and love it, shoots like a dream and looks killer I just swapped grips for a set of smooth desert ironwood ones and wow are they killler looking and feel.

I love to shoot it as much as possible I have it since sept and probably fed 1000+ rounds through it ( i know not even broke in yet)

but it beats me up after a while the 230s are just too much for a lot of shooting .

Im looking for a 4 or 5 " steel frame and slide maybe.
I have looked at and like the Kimber Esclipse in 4 and 5" but just dont know if i need to drop that much coin on a another .45, that I may want to put the .22 conversion kit on for fun and varmits around the farm

The local guy suggests a plain Kimber in steel then play with it, trigger, grips, finish the whole 9 yards

I just can never leave any thing alone with out modifying it

Any other brands I should look at??

Help
Jamie
1911 fan and addict

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
New 45?

Jamie: I just passed on some info to another fella on a post just down from yours and I think it contains the kind of information you have asked about.

For an lesser expensive GI 45 you have some great choices - Springfield for one, the Colt WWII repro for another (although I don't recommend Colt any longer this one got good reviews in Gun Tests magazine), and there is Rock Island. If you can find a used 45 that is also an option.

I know what you mean about expense - the Kimbers are quality, and expensive, handguns. You can 'trick' out a GI 45 for about $300, including an accuracy barrel. Lotsa choices out there for ya.

Hope this helps. Mikey.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Fullsize Kimber Custom II

Take a look at it, it's got everything you want. You can get it with walnut grips too. 8)

·
Registered
381 Posts
The basic Springfield is a very good pistol for the money. The advantage to a basic .45 is that you can build it up over time with all the match bells and whistles as you want. Caspian also makes a very nice frame and slide, if you want to build one yourself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you already know and like Kimber, go with a Custom II in whatever finish you like.

I saw a Custom TLE the other day. This is the civilian version of the LAPD SWAT Custom. It's a standard custom with front strap checkering and night sights. It looks like a great gun for the money.

Personally, I love the Eclipse finish, but won't pay that much for a finish. If you're getting into Eclipse money, go ahead and get a Gold Match or a full sized CDP. I dearly love my Gold Match.

I got mine from www.sportingarms.com. Tom and Becky Harris have the best prices and service out there. I don't buy from anyone else.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
29 Posts
My kimber classic custom target is all I want in a .45. I've killed deer and all other manner of varmits with it. It works all the time and carried in an ISWB kydex holster it wears so good its forgotten until needed.
PS...My sunday/dress gun is a kimber pro cdp commander length. Love it too.
Since you have kimber I'd stay with another kimber.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies

I just want to say thank you to everyone who replied to my post about buying another .45

Today I found and picked up a VERY VERY nice Kimber Pro Eclipse II
one of the original from the custom shop. (has the amb. saftey, and factory fixed night sights) It was hardly fired, and is in like new shape.

I went ahead and shot it today. Ran about 100-150 rounds through it. Shooting everything from factory 230 grain hardball to 165 grain LSWC reloads to reloaded 185 grain hollowpoints. I had exactly 2 problems.

First one was my fault--i think-- I racked a shell in then dropped the mag to add another , and I dont think I snapped the mag full in because when i shot the mag came out a bit and the gun tried to load a shell thht was not really there. The second was near the end of shooting and it was with a light reload and it was just a failure to feed all the way, all I did was tap the slide and it locked in place. By this time the gun was dirty from shooting lead..

All in all it is a sweet shooting gun, shoots like its little brother except doesn't kick as bad.

And like all new owners Im already playing with it, new grips, new screws, new slide release ETC

Thanks again everyone
Jamie
:toast:

Rolex Dr

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mikey; You consider the Colt 1911A1 WWII repro an inexpensive 1911??? To me, a cheap one would be the Rock Island you mentioned, at about $350. I haven't seen the Colt for less than $875. It happens that I'm in the market for either a genuine 1911A1 or the repro, and I'm leaning to the repro. A 'real' one is going to be about $1250 in the condition I would want. I looked at and handled a repro at the last gun show, and it really looked and felt 'right' to me. Of course, a nice G.I. one would, too.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
i think

every colt i have ever handled was just a glorified turd. if i were going to get a g.i. repro, i would get a springfield. my pal got one a while back and i like it ( not as much as my kimber ). the things that matter are there, though, and it is one solid, reliable gun.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
191145: Sir, I am thoroughly appaled at the price of that Colt repro. That's one of the reasons I went to a Springfield. Honestly, I can't imagine paying that amount for a GI issue 45. At that price, you are absolutely correct - the Rock Island is the lesser expensive version.

Also honestly, I stopped buying Colts a long time ago. I had a horrible experience with their repair shop and then the last Gold Cup I purchased came with the famed 13 lb trigger pull. The head of the whatever section it is/was that produces the 1911 line of pistol stated publically that no gun would leave his shop with anything less than a 13 pound trigger pull. Yep, that was my Gold Cup, alright. I think that was just before Colt went belly-up for the 3rd time. As I understand it, they have already hit bankrupsy #4. Just something about arrogance in the market-place that always makes me want to check out other producers. Mikey.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Rock Island 45s

191145: I was looking at my new Shotgun News last night and again saw the advertisements for the Rock Island 45. This is their 1911A1 Government Model, cut from steel, 5" chrome lined barrel, mahogany grips and parkerized finish. It is advertised as having all parts interchangeable with the 1911A1 and was advertised at $349. Dealer Specials of 3 or more at $319.

Now, being true to the design of the 1911A1 with all parts interchangeable is what you want to see if you are planning on purchasing a GI model 1911A1. This means you can dress it up or trick it out any way you want without running into problems with different types of designs in some of the custom pistols. And, at that price it is a great deal. My GI Springfield 1911A1 cost about that when I first purchased it in 1992, and I wouldn't give it up for a Colt fer nutin. This be Mikey and I sure hope we have helped you with your choices. :-D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts