Graybeard Outdoors banner

Loose powder=pellets

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bigblock455 
#1 ·
Fairly new to muzzle loading,my apex manual calls for 3 50gr pellets or 100 gr loose.With a reduction of 15% shouldn't the loose load be 127.5 loose =3 50 gr pellets given loose is hoter.
Don

#2 ·
I wondered about that too when I read it in my Apex manual. I think they are erring on the side of safety. Also the barrel pressures can be different with the loose powder than with the pellets. I think it is definitely best to stick with what the manufacturer recommends. Sometimes I think people underestimate how much bang 100 grains of loose 777 really is. I get very good accuracy out of my 50 cal Apex with 85 or 90 grains of loose 777 2f and feel very safe doing it. I would consider a different weapon if really big loads are what you want.
Art

#3 ·
Ever notice that the 777 pellet package only suggest using 2 of them?

#5 ·
Swampman said:
Ever notice that the 777 pellet package only suggest using 2 of them?
Ever notice gun makers advertising there guns as 150 gr. capable? That 777 pellet package is for those that don't have guns capable of over 100 gr. It is a CYA for the powder maker.

#6 ·
I find that 80 grains of 3F GOEX works really well with a 250 grain T/C Cheap Shot. I don't use 3 pellets either. I don't trust some of the gun makers.

#7 ·
DonsHarley82 said:
I'm not looking for big loads, I shoot 2 50 gr pellets and 245 expander mz now.I just wanted to know my limitations ,I want to try loose to see what happens to my accuracy.My question was only for knowledge.
with triple 7 loose, you are limited to 100 grains. Pyrodex, 110 grains. You can email CVA and they'll give you the info that you need. With my winchester x-150, cva said i could safely use 120 grains pyrodex rs with the 295 grain powerbelt, They also said they limit their rifles to 100 grains of loose powder, due to their tests showing, thats all that will burn in their shorter 26" barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.