Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading this forum, I get the impression that you must pay somewhere in the range of about $200 to get a decent hunting scope. Does that same price range apply for a fixed power scope, or can you get by with less? I need to scope a rifle used strictly for woods hunting, ranges rarely over 75 yards, and a variable wouldn't be useful.

·
Administrator
26,056 Posts
Fixed power scopes of equal quality will usually be cheaper than variables.

If you are referring to a centerfire rifle with any level of recoil the cheapest scope I can at this time recommend would be the Bushnell Trophy line. They should come in well under the $200 mark. I do plan to test some of the lower line scopes this year to see if I can find any that I can feel comfortable recommending on deer hunting rifles as I know not everyone is willing to shell out $200 or more for a scope.

GB

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I agree with GB. Given same quality, fixed scopes are less expensive than variable scopes. The reason for this is that there are more components in a variable scope than a fixed, which thus equates to more parts and labor.

While you can get a decent fixed scope for under $200, please don't think that $100 will do the job. I would imagine that variable scopes would cost approximately 25% more than a fixed scope. As such, and this is just my assumption, you could get a decent fixed scope for pobably no less than $150. :?

Again, we are not talking about GREAT scopes, just "decent" scopes.

Zachary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts