Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly after a unplanned career change, I had to sell almost all my guns, (20+). I now have a few nickles and can pick up a Howa in 300 Win. Mag. Can anyone tell me anything about them from first hand experience? I know they are made in Japan and I heard that they produced the Vangard series of rifles for Wetherby and some for Smith and Wesson as well. The one I looked at had a decent scope, synthetic stock, really smooth action but a some what crappy trigger for $450.
Your thoughts would be helpful.

Dana

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
They are nice rifles for the most part...They are built strong...and usually give good to very good accuracy...There are other rifles with the same characteristics for that amount of money ...to slightly more...as well...If you like it...then buy it...Do some comparison shopping and see if there is something you like more...If not...you will not question your purchase...I can say if this is a " new" rifle sold as a "combo"...most of those scopes are not the greatest...and usually get replaced quickly..

Mac

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a howa 1500 ss lam. stock in .270 ,it is a good shooter ,1 inch group at 100 yards .I have a nikon 3x9x40 scope on it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've got a 1500 in .338 Winchester. I think the Howa offers a tremendous value. I didn't like the "tupperware" stock and so restocked with a laminated job from Boyds. After I finally figured out that this rifle prefers near max loads, groups settled down +/- 1" (three shots @ 100 yards).

By the way, the Howa trigger is adjustable for both overtravel and pull weight...or you can just replace it with a Timney.

There used to be a shop that offered barreled actions (can't remember the name), but I don't think they were much cheaper than finding a tupperware-stocked rifle at Wally World (or some such place).

By the way, it doesn't hurt to look over the used gun racks. I picked up my 1500 for $199 in like new condition at a Gander Mountain about 3 years ago. Bought a used Leupold M-8 4X on Ebay and an unfinished stock from Boyds and was good to go "on the cheap"!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Yep the Howa 1500's, Weatherby Vanguards, S&W 1500's, Mossberg 1500's (older guns), all the same. Good shooters for the most part. As with ANY brand, you may get a lemon. I have a 30-06 Vanguard that is a decent gun for the bucks. But these guns are lot like Savages (which is a another very decent gun for the money BTW) they usually need aftermarket stuff to make them come up to par, so to speak. Aftermarket stocks, triggers, bedding the action and the barrels, is not uncommon. A lot of guys even do custom builds with the Savage and Stevens actions and the result is usually some really fine and accurate guns. Competitions are won often by Savage guns or Savage custom builds. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of the Howas or Vanguards though, for two reasons........first you're gonna get a decent shooter right off the bat......second when money is tight and only comes in small increments, then 3-400 bucks now and then a 100 more, and then a couple hundred more is easier to swing than spending it all at once. Sure it adds up, but it's kinda like buying a house or car on credit, keep putting into it and you wind up with what ya want and have pride in what you've done to it also.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I've had a 1500 in .270 since 1993. Shoots good, with a little TLC on the trigger. Never had so much as even a little problem with it.

alan

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a 223 and a 270 and I like them. They both are very accurate and have smooth actions. My 223 has a good trigger but my 270 is a little gritty. The 270 is new so I'm hoping it will smooth some after getting some use. If not I will see what I can do to towards smoothing it out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great gun and an even better gun for the money-I have a 22-250 that shoots .60-.75 when I do my part. Trigger is adjustable and good to about 1.5 lbs. I think that the Howa is the best buy out there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had a Howa in 30-06 and at 100 yards it was a tack driver. They also have a reputation for having exceptional triggers. maybe the one you looked at needed some adjusting. You may want to wait and look at the
Marlin XL7. The reviews on it have been very good. Cheaper to. Not sure if it will be available in 300Wm though.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
I have a Vanguard from the mid 70's. Beautiful wood and metal finish. Mine is 7mm Rem Mag. Action is as smooth as silk. Very pleased with quality. Newer guns are probably OK but not in a league with mine.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a vangaurd 270 wsm that will shoot a big raggid hole group with my 110 grain v-max loads, It shoots the factory stuff into about 1 1/2 groups.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Check out the combos with a green Hogue overmolded stocks... The Nighteater scopes seem to be really good for a package rifle. A customer bought one in 300mag last month and brought in a target with a 4" to 5" group from 450yds. Guy is a former sniper, but still, those groups were with the packaged scope!

Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also have a couple of Howa's and they are a very good gun for the price. Both of of mine had a lot of creep in the trigger, so I called and they had me adjust the back screw to take it out and it did wonders. It's got a very mild creep and a good break at 4lbs. I just shot my daughters .243 today with Barnes 85 grain triple shock and it shot a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards. But it has their second generation stock on it with the oversize palm swell and the 3 stage trigger. My .223 is one of their 1st ones made and the stock is very cheap and only likes one type of ammo. They are now selling Hogue stocks with the new guns and are having a lot less accuracy issues. They advised me to send it in and they will look at it and possibley replace the stock, or the complete gun and no charge if it doesn't shoot a 1 1/2 group at 100 yards. Pretty good customer service in my opinion. Between my family and my neighbor we own 4 of them.
Deerhunter 10

1 - 16 of 16 Posts