Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am called to review this event due to a recent conversation I have had.
It is one of the most telling stories the Christ ever told and, to me, is a great source for the foundation of much of my personal theology.
Is this the story of an actual event or, as some say, just a parable. Maybe a parable pointing to good works, even, maybe warning of the evil of riches ?
Blessings

·
Registered
661 Posts
williamlayton said:
I am called to review this event due to a recent conversation I have had.
It is one of the most telling stories the Christ ever told and, to me, is a great source for the foundation of much of my personal theology.
Is this the story of an actual event or, as some say, just a parable. Maybe a parable pointing to good works, even, maybe warning of the evil of riches ?
Blessings
William, riches are not 'evil'. The 'love' of riches (money) makes it evil, putting it before God. 1 Timothy 6:10

I see the story as one of the sin of rebellion. Luke 16:31 "But he said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.'"

·
Registered
661 Posts
Bob said:
It shows plainly greed is a abominable sin.
No, not so much. It plainly shows the difference between one rich man and one poor man and the faith of these two characters. Not a teaching on greed, but where/what a person exercises their faith , and the result of what one puts their faith in and how faith and rebellion will effect eternity for the faithful and the rebellious.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
mtdotcomm said:
Bob said:
No, not so much. It plainly shows the difference between one rich man and one poor man and the faith of these two characters. Not a teaching on greed, but where/what a person exercises their faith , and the result of what one puts their faith in and how faith and rebellion will effect eternity for the faithful and the rebellious.
You could be correct but I see the one as worshipping possesions, greed, and other as worshipping God.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Bob said:
mtdotcomm said:
Bob said:
You could be correct but I see the one as worshipping possesions, greed, and other as worshipping God.
Correct. Semantics aside, the outcome is 'smoking or non?'

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I guess I don't see that passage as some do here. The late Dr. Lee Roberson of Tennessee Temple U. had a term he told his Bible majors which said " If the first sense makes sense, don't look for any other sense."
What I see here is simply the difference between two men. One honored God even though he was still not blessed with material goods..while the other obviously dedicated himself to gathering material goods..choosing to ignore God, who created him. ..You can't take it with you..and if you could, there would be no place to enjoy it in ****.
Nothing wrong with material things, so long as they do not become an idol placed before God.

See also, (Luke 12:16-20)

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
ironglow said:
I guess I don't see that passage as some do here. The late Dr. Lee Roberson of Tennessee Temple U. had a term he told his Bible majors which said " If the first sense makes sense, don't look for any other sense."
What I see here is simply the difference between two men. One honored God even though he was still not blessed with material goods..while the other obviously dedicated himself to gathering material goods..choosing to ignore God, who created him. ..You can't take it with you..and if you could, there would be no place to enjoy it in ****.
Nothing wrong with material things, so long as they do not become an idol placed before God.

See also, (Luke 12:16-20)

The difference is indeed between the two men. The rich man's love of money in the parable just makes the story of greed understandable. But I've known a few "rich" people and they were/are far less greedy and envious than many of the "poor" people I've known. There is no evil in money, the evil is in 'the love of money.'

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Winnie--if that is a real question and not just your usual slurr I will answer.
A parable is an example. This is a real story about real persons--not making an example. If you would read all of the scripture given--even you--should not ask that question.
Blessings

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Basic rule of thumb in Bible exegesis.. It is a true story. If it were a parable there would have been no names mentioned. Example of a parable..The parable of the vineyard workers...(Matt 20:1-16) No name used...

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I'm not too concerned about a comparison between story and parable.
Christ's purpose was to Reveal himself and His ministry was to the Jewish nation in order to fulfill prophecy that they would deny and reject Him.
They were arrogant and felt that their genetics made them all children of God. There was also the idea that status was a blessing of God and a sign of His mark on a man.
The two things that stand out most to me is that God is NOT a respecter of persons and that while God is sovereign in His call on a man's life Human responsibility is not negated by His sovereign call.

lc

·
Registered
661 Posts
wncchester said:
...I've known a few "rich" people and they were/are far less greedy and envious than many of the "poor" people I've known. There is no evil in money, the evil is in 'the love of money.'
Interesting isnt it? "Ignorance and Want" run rampant.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
Sure enough Mt. My wife and I started with $15 (literaly) in 1959 and we still have most of it. Fortunately, the pursuit of money was never a goal for either of us so we're not disappointed, we "rejoice in all things".

I've never heard of a dying man saying, "If I could do it all over again I'd spend more time at the office."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts